Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know what the answer is going to be on this unfortunately but I have a 2008 Alfa Romeo GT Blackline and the drivers side window switch is no longer working. I get the feeling that it is a case of keep checking ebay for the part but just wondered if anyone knew of anything different to me on this. It looks like they no longer supply new parts for this and that second hand ones are like gold dust. I did find one on ebay and bought it only for it to be lost in the post by Royal Mail::disappointed: The seller refunded me the money but i now can't find any other ones out there!!! Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I know what the answer is going to be on this unfortunately but I have a 2008 Alfa Romeo GT Blackline and the drivers side window switch is no longer working. I get the feeling that it is a case of keep checking ebay for the part but just wondered if anyone knew of anything different to me on this. It looks like they no longer supply new parts for this and that second hand ones are like gold dust. I did find one on ebay and bought it only for it to be lost in the post by Royal Mail::disappointed: The seller refunded me the money but i now can't find any other ones out there!!! Any advice appreciated.
I had this problem last year with my GT. Partsworld were selling some brand new ones at the beginning of last year but by the time I needed one they had sold out and they haven't featured on their website since, so you might be right about no new ones not being available. If you were by chance to find one at a dealership, expect to pay about £250- Partsworld were charging IIRC £124.99.

In the end I got a used one from Ned at Autolusso and I paid, again IIRC, £80. Try Ned and hopefully you'll be lucky.

Just for your information, the 147 (3 door) switch looks the same i.e shape and it will fit but won't work. You need the GT specific one which has a green casing (the 147's is all black).

Also be prepared, having changed it, to have to get a proxy re-alignment done to pair the new switch with the OB computer. On mine when I changed it, it caused the mileometer to flash so it needed doing. It might not do it on every vehicle but it did on mine.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,516 Posts
What do you mean by not working??

·
Registered
2005 Gt 1.9JtD, 2010 Giulietta 170 MultiAir Lusso
274 Posts
If it's a mechanical problem with the switch rockers it may be possible to pirate a 147 switch set. I know the pins on the sides of the switch that they pivot on can break off. If the switch feels right but isn't working, it may be a software problem. do you have access to an ECU scanner?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got a replacement windows switch unit from a facelift 147 that had the green body, plugged straight in to my GT no problems. The plastic switch itself had snapped on mine.

Yesterday I dismantled said unit and gave the inside a really good clean as the passenger window up was really hit and miss. There was a real build up of gunk and carbon on the contacts between the white rubber piece and the circuit board on pretty much all the switches. Some contact cleaner and cotton buds later and it all works perfectly with much less force needed on the switches than before.

If you do decide to dismantle it and clean everything (might help, and its free!) watch for the small white pins, these ping off and disappear really easily. Long ones go in the mirror control part and short ones go back on the window switches (you'll know what I mean!)

Jon

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
I got a replacement windows switch unit from a facelift 147 that had the green body, plugged straight in to my GT no problems. The plastic switch itself had snapped on mine.
Jon
Normally the "problem" is that the 147 controller does not support the slightly lowering and raising of the GT windows when opening/closing doors ....

·
Registered
43 Posts
If it's a mechanical problem with one of the switches where the rocker motion becomes very loose you don't need to replace the whole window switch assembly. Just get a cheaper passenger window unit with the single switch and transplant the good components from that switch into the driver side unit. Have done it before and it's a cheap easy fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your help. It stopped working and a local garage took a look at it and in the process lost all the little pins inside, not quite sure how!!? so am pretty sure I need a new unit. I've contacted Ned from Autolusso and that might be a possibility although with postage it'll cost around 135. Have messaged a lot of ebayers breaking gt's but with no joy. I have seen this one but am confused as to why it has dormant buttons on it? Surely no gt's have rear working windows?

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks all for your help. It stopped working and a local garage took a look at it and in the process lost all the little pins inside, not quite sure how!!? so am pretty sure I need a new unit. I've contacted Ned from Autolusso and that might be a possibility although with postage it'll cost around 135. Have messaged a lot of ebayers breaking gt's but with no joy. I have seen this one but am confused as to why it has dormant buttons on it? Surely no gt's have rear working windows?
That looks like a drivers side window switch from a 5 door 147. One of the buttons switches between front and rear window operation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks like a drivers side window switch from a 5 door 147. One of the buttons switches between front and rear window operation.
Yeah i wondered if it was, I asked the seller but he says it has come from a gt. Whether the original owner put the wrong one on the gt he is now breaking I don't know but then it does have the green casing of a gt window switch rather than the black casing of an alfa 147??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah i wondered if it was, I asked the seller but he says it has come from a gt. Whether the original owner put the wrong one on the gt he is now breaking I don't know but then it does have the green casing of a gt window switch rather than the black casing of an alfa 147??
A GT doesn't have the 2 buttons below the up/down switches. It may have been fitted to a GT but that switch is originally from a 147. I'm not sure about black/green casings to be honest. They may have changed for different model years?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I’ve got a spare driver’s window controller that I picked up for £25 from someone on here (“Upex”) who was breaking a GT and I would sell it for that, plus whatever it costs to post. The good news is that I have had it fitted in my car and it all works and all the buttons and pins are all intact. The bad news is that it isn’t very pretty to look at: let me explain.
The previous owner of the switch clearly had window issues with the vehicle and the results of his attempts to fix them are plain to see. There are screwdriver damage marks around the joint between the top (flat bit) of the black portion of the switch and the rest of the black portion (however this cannot be seen when the switch is in the door card). That same flat top bit has been painted (probably to deal with the sticky surface problem) and the mirror control switch works perfectly but the outer left/right control selector feels “sloppy”.
I’m pretty sure you could take the parts you need from this and rebuild your own back to working condition. Let me know if you’re interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ve got a spare driver’s window controller that I picked up for £25 from someone on here (“Upex”) who was breaking a GT and I would sell it for that, plus whatever it costs to post. The good news is that I have had it fitted in my car and it all works and all the buttons and pins are all intact. The bad news is that it isn’t very pretty to look at: let me explain.
The previous owner of the switch clearly had window issues with the vehicle and the results of his attempts to fix them are plain to see. There are screwdriver damage marks around the joint between the top (flat bit) of the black portion of the switch and the rest of the black portion (however this cannot be seen when the switch is in the door card). That same flat top bit has been painted (probably to deal with the sticky surface problem) and the mirror control switch works perfectly but the outer left/right control selector feels “sloppy”.
I’m pretty sure you could take the parts you need from this and rebuild your own back to working condition. Let me know if you’re interested.

That would be amazing! Thank you. How do we go about this?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Do you have "Paypal" that would be the easiest way to pay. I'll need your address to post to (you can send me that by private message). Royal Mail 1 day, tracked delivery is £5.46 if I buy the label online.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, I cant send a private message yet as haven't been a member for 14 days! Shall I just give you my number and sort through that. Yes I can pay via PayPal. Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts