Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my Alfa has the warning messages for ABS , Traction Control etc . I guessed it was an ABS sensor so took it down the road and stamped the brakes and the drivers side rear wheel locked up badly so I guess it's the problem . Does anyone know if I need a new sensor or do they work again after a clean ? If I need a new one does anyone have one I could buy please .
Sorry for the dumb blonde questions lol . I am a blond lady lol and can be a little dumb but do love my Alfa and like to fix her myself .

·
Registered
780 Posts
You can try giving it a clean by taking it out of the caliper and use electrical contact cleaner to give it a clean. It might work but usually once they are gone that is the end of it. But that's not to say that you shouldn't try cleaning it first!

The best thing you can do is get the code diagnosed. With any luck you will only need to replace the sensor with a new one (if a clean doesnt do the trick) but in some cases its actually the ABS ECU which craps itself (happened on my GTV) and that is a pain in the backside to track down the right replacement unit or get it repaired. Its not hard at all to swap the ECU's, its just 6 torx screws that attach the ECU to the pump unit and can be done with everything in situ. Though accessing the screws near the firewall can be a real pain especially if you've got big hands like me!

So I think the first step is to try and clean the contacts with electrical contact cleaner (Not WD40). If that doesn't do the trick then you really need to get the car hooked up and get the error code(s) checked and then go from there.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Most probably, that wheel locked up because it had the least grip. As AussieAlex says, get the code checked and hopefully that will give you a better clue as to what's gone wrong.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
There's very little to clean - it is a plastic blade that is about 2mm from the hub ring. Unless you've had the car axle deep in mud, then it is very unlikely to need cleaning.

Get multiecuscan and a cable to read the codes - best investment in fixing you will ever make. If it is the sensor it will come up with something like N/S/R phonic wheel - change whichever sensor it is pointing to.

Quick and dirty check - remove the back seat base (two socket cap bolts front). The abs connectors are yellow/white plugs either side, about 1/2 wide and 3 inches long. Disconnect and check continuity of the sensor with a multimeter. Can't remember what it should be, but open circuit = broken.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quick and dirty check - remove the back seat base (two socket cap bolts front). The abs connectors are yellow/white plugs either side, about 1/2 wide and 3 inches long. Disconnect and check continuity of the sensor with a multimeter. Can't remember what it should be, but open circuit = broken.
Its quite easy to break those connectors so I would recommend getting the code read first. Cleaning the sensor surface can potentially clear the fault as in some cases they can get dirty but I do agree with you that it probably won't do anything. So first step would be to get the fault read. I wouldn't recommend touching the connector until you have confirmed the error code as otherwise you can risk breaking a perfectly fine sensor if the issue lies elsewhere such as a VDC/ABS error which can either be battery or ABS ECU related.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you I have fixed it . It was the sensor in the wheel that locked up . I tried heavy braking in a straight line five times and always that wheel locked up . The sensor was snapped so I replaced the hub for one with sensor fitted and the only issue I have now is these buttons not working and the heater not turning off . I am sure this dangling wire has something to do with it . Would anyone have any ideas please . None of the buttons on the pictured cluster work inc fuel flap .The heater stays on with key out . I manually turn the heater blower off and it says On still on the display . I can't settle the clock etc but do love this car . To stop the battery drain I have modified the secondaries fuse by cutting it and wiring in a switch . Many thanks

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts