Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin to change the maf sensor, can anyone suggest the best place and price to purchase one.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
if u are doing it it as got to be a genuine bosch one

just out of intrest why are you needing to change it as its a big expense if its not your maf at fault

Gary

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if u are doing it it as got to be a genuine bosch one

just out of intrest why are you needing to change it as its a big expense if its not your maf at fault

Gary
Now Gary - The GT in recent weeks has had undergone a full service, cambelt and water pump change, but has suffered with a flat spot before and after. I have had the EGR cleaned, all hoses and pipes are gud, also had a recent custom remap. The flat spot stil remains, so was advised to change the air flow sensor :confused:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Now Gary - The GT in recent weeks has had undergone a full service, cambelt and water pump change, but has suffered with a flat spot before and after. I have had the EGR cleaned, all hoses and pipes are gud, also had a recent custom remap. The flat spot stil remains, so was advised to change the air flow sensor :confused:
was the solenoid working properly on the EGR?
i had probs with my old 2.4 sportwagon when i blocked of the EGR it was in second gear.. i was told a custom remap would overcome that......but so did a tuning box !

im confused why a custom map wouldnt overcome that flat spot

it could be MAF but they are a lot of money if you dont actualy need one.....sing u need is if u unplug it and the car runs better!

have u cleaned the MAP sensor.....its a little to the left of egr held in with one torx bolt

Gary

G

·
0 Posts
Can I ask why you need to replace the MAF?

Why not try cleaning it first and see if things improve... £7.00 maximum for all the cleaning products that you can also use on other items as opposed to £180+ for a new MAF:eek:

Always remember, there is a cause to every issue.... If you don't rectify the cause then the issue will return again.
Simply replacing the MAF should be ok for now but ask one simple question:

Why did the MAF fail in the first place?

Usually down to dirty, unfiltered air causing contamination on the sensor wire of the MAF via a broken air filter box lid or leak past the filter itself...
Also the lack of cleaning out the airbox when fitting the new air filter can create dirt and deposits to sit at the bottom of the box just waiting to be sucked up the next time you start up:rolleyes:

Food for thought
Alfa Romeo

Very good tutorial and could save you a fortune... I would hate for you to spend money on a new MAF and find out it wasn't that after all:thumbs:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to admit fella's that my knowledge of cars is limited, i will take out the maf sensor and clean it, where abouts under the hood is it and do you need a special tool to remove it. Any type of cleaning product needed.

The power band doesn't kik in till around 2000/2500rpm, today i went threw the gears, got to 4th and flat spots with slow progresive speed. After the slow start from 2500rpm 1st 2nd 3rd at full throttle is ok.

Thanks for all the possible solutions and what i cud do to not warrant spending money stupidly.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've just bought a GT after coming from a 166. The MAF would go regularly in the 166 and many threads where written about it. I'm not sure if the MAF in the GT is the same as the 166, haven't looked but in the 166 it was a sensor mounted halfway down a plastic tube. This tube turned out to be a very expensive piece of plastic as we discovered the sensor part was common to various other car manufacturer MAFs. In the end we where all buying vauxhall diesel MAFs for our 166 V6s. Identical bosch part but £65 instead of £200 for the alfa part meaning the plastic tube came in at a whopping £135. Just two screws and the sensor replaced into your original alfa tube.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I have to admit fella's that my knowledge of cars is limited, i will take out the maf sensor and clean it, where abouts under the hood is it and do you need a special tool to remove it. Any type of cleaning product needed.

The power band doesn't kik in till around 2000/2500rpm, today i went threw the gears, got to 4th and flat spots with slow progresive speed. After the slow start from 2500rpm 1st 2nd 3rd at full throttle is ok.

Thanks for all the possible solutions and what i cud do to not warrant spending money stupidly.
who mapped it?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
who mapped it?
It was mapped by BIG FISH TUNING in stokesley, However the problem was occuring way before the remapp, i did have the air filter changed in recent months to a KnN, could this be a cause of the lag in power:confused: Maybe fitted wrongly

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
It was mapped by BIG FISH TUNING in stokesley, However the problem was occuring way before the remapp, i did have the air filter changed in recent months to a KnN, could this be a cause of the lag in power:confused: Maybe fitted wrongly
where problems started soon after filter was replaced or before ......?

usually disturbing filter box ..housing disturbs crud in bottom of box and this gets sucked up to MAF

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where problems started soon after filter was replaced or before ......?

usually disturbing filter box ..housing disturbs crud in bottom of box and this gets sucked up to MAF
The problem did start after the filter was replaced, so i suppose cleaning the maf sensor wud be the first port of call?? , what product wud you advise to use dave:cool:

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
The problem did start after the filter was replaced, so i suppose cleaning the maf sensor wud be the first port of call?? , what product wud you advise to use dave:cool:
maplins stock contact cleaner iso someting ...ive used carb cleaner in past but usually damage is done already ..shorts electronics in side .....but im sure you can get a sensor off a vauxhall that does job ...search maf data base im sure someone put one in there

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Whilst it may seem odd ive used the maf centre from a 147 1.6 in my 147 jtd 8v and it is fine. Without exagerating ive something like 20 genuine bosch used mafs from lots of alfas ive worked on and i was loathe to buy new.I had nothing to lose by giving it a try and it goes well and my fuel consumption is good.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Whilst it may seem odd ive used the maf centre from a 147 1.6 in my 147 jtd 8v and it is fine. Without exagerating ive something like 20 genuine bosch used mafs from lots of alfas ive worked on and i was loathe to buy new.I had nothing to lose by giving it a try and it goes well and my fuel consumption is good.
maybe okay for you but cf3 /4 maf's have different flow /voltage curves so not adviseable

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to update on the recent Maf issue, well i picked the car up from the garage today and now know it defo needs a new one. Had all the checks done that u guys suggested and more and it cost me nowt. Thanks to Richard at Innes St Autocentre in Middlesbrough. :thumbs:

·
Registered
164 Posts
^^^That one looks exactly the same as the one I just removed from my GT JTD CF4 this morning, same plug so I recon it is the same part.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts