Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm doing the timing belt, tensioner, waterpump etc on my GT JTD 1.9.

I was aware now is a good time to check the inlet manifold to clean it, check for failed swirl flaps and even possibly remove them / swap out the manifold.

I've been working off Pubsingers guide, eLearn and other guides to remove/clean/replace the JTD inlet manifold.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/218824-gt-jtdm-replaced-inlet-manifold.html

I've hit a snag and rather than resurrect that old thread, I figured it was easier to ask here.

The issue is, I've gotten as far as removing the high pressure fuel pump as the last step before getting the manifold off.

Steps so far:
* Manually turned engine to line up the pump sprocket with the 2 locking holes
* Used the bolts off the lower timing belt cover to lock the sprocket in place while I unlocked the 22mm sprocket bolt
* Opened the 3x 12mm nuts holding the fuel pump onto the bracket (disconnected fuel lines, electrical etc)
* Cable tied the old timing belt onto the other big pulley
* Put some cardboard and rags under the pump to catch the woodruff key from falling.
* Loosened tensioner and unhooked timing belt from the fuel pump sprocket.
* Unbolted the locking bolts on the sprocket and since I don't have the eLearn mentioned sprocket removal tool, used a bodge approach to knock the centre 22mm bolt in towards the pump assembly using the original nut unloosened, a 22mm socket, a ratchet bar and a hammer.
* That has loosened the sprocket from the fuel pump assembly so the pump can be wiggled a bit on the pump other side of the bracket and the sprocket is loose on the spline on the other side.

Problem is the sprocket can't be pulled off the spline and the pump on the other side feels like something is still catching it.

Is it possible the woodruff key is catching it on the pump gear?

Have I missed a step above and messed up by unbolting the locking bolts and hammering it out?

Have I screwed up the pump -> sprocket -> belt synch?

Should I just be able to rotate the sprocket and at some rotation it should be possible to pull off the pump?

I'm paranoid now about moving the sprocket when the belt is off in case I mess up something I shouldn't.

Any help/advice would be majorly appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Have I screwed up the pump -> sprocket -> belt synch?

Should I just be able to rotate the sprocket and at some rotation it should be possible to pull off the pump?

I'm paranoid now about moving the sprocket when the belt is off in case I mess up something I shouldn't.

Any help/advice would be majorly appreciated :)
As I understood it, the pump isn't timed at all...

You can muck about with the pump sprocket position all you like and it doesn't matter... Only reason to keep it all lined up and in time is so you don't lose the timing between the crank/cam sprockets... But if you're doing the timing belt/water-pump etc. and you've got the correct timing tools, then no need to keep it zip-tied together...

There was also a small chunk of the manifold/support back there that needed a small piece cutting out with and angle grinder to allow the pump to move out freely... Not sure if this is your problem or not mind....

I'll let someone else confirm if this is the case or not!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah I remember that bit about the casing from Pubsingers thread now. I'll check that.

Yeah I have the right timing tools etc so should be good there.

I was just paranoid about messing up something when forcing the fuel pump off.

Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts