Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alfa gt 1.9jtd bad engine start and rattle

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Kevlarpt 
#1 ·
Hey guys

Wonder if you could help with this headache,keep getting different opinions from different mechanics and cant seem to sort it out.

I've had the car for about 2 years now and this issue has suddenly popped up.
On start up the car makes a loud noise and the motor shakes pretty bad,thought it was a bearing but luckily not! Car will sometimes start and run great and then not as per the link below

Here is a link of the exact same issue :

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks

#2 ·
I had this (or something similar) happen the other day. The car had been sitting for a little while. Took the battery and charged it and it started fine since.

My thought is that one of the cylinders wasn't firing properly, maybe due to a loose glow plug connection. Yeah it still doesn't make sense to me.

#3 ·
I am going to say you have a dodgy glow plug which is causing the car to run only on 3 cylinders to begin with.

#8 ·
I'm inclined to say battery. Lack of sufficient speed from starter motor means injector pump does not generate sufficient pressure to feed all cylinders with required injection pressure, hence starts with 3, or 2 cylinders only. It needs 350 bar pressure for each cylinder to start. They are very sensitive to battery performance. Try a new, proper spec battery.

#9 ·
How fast does pressure decay after switching off? I have no idea, BTW. I don't think it is fuel pressure as I think the engine ran badly at over the 300rpm the starter would turn it.

I think it is more likely the DMF but I hope not. Try starting with clutch in different position. See if that affects it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.