Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

The 1.9 GT 06 is not liking the cold! Anything below 8 degrees and I have starting problems.
Engine starts and turns over just fine everytime it will start but stutter and die. The colder it is the more attempts are required before I can keep it stuttering for say 30 seconds then the stutturing disappears and the car runs just fine.

So it only happens when cold not had a problem this morning but yesterday 7 degrees 3 attempts last week slightly icy 15 attempts.
So I guess it's no starter motor or glow plugs as it's started where else do I look.

I'm competent at repairs have had 5 alfa's over the years and have a 159 1.9 also.

Just replaced rear brakes few days ago.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
glow plugs first....do all 4., I have cheapy chinese Ebay ones that were £20 for all four posted, she starts first time every time.

do you first turn the key to MAR give it 30 seconds or so and then start? or are you just getting in and firing up? sorry if I am stating the obvious but if you don't already do this it may make all the difference.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes well over 30 seconds each time no differance will search about for a set I haven't ever changed them had the car 3 years so I suppose it's about time.
Have to say the differance 8n reliability between the 156/GT (had 3 2.4 156's chip em don't over do the revs the gearbox can't handle it ;)) and the 159. Had the 159 three I service oil and filter twice a year myself and I have replaced rear pads on the 159 nothing else wrong.
156/GT's well bushes bushes bushes every few months. My own fault it's the 18" low pros brought it on myself but speed of the GT over the 159 (Same 1.9 engine as 159 is also 06) is much greater but with more comes more smoke. Put in that Teso crap and it smokes no matter what Esso super stuff hardly at all.

Thanks will be a few days before I can get it done will update to let you know wether it is resolved or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
can be either glow plugs , a dicky injector, air in fuel, crank sensor not very common but have seen it happen. Also have seen one where the starter was cranking over find but drew too much out of a brand new battery to power the ecu properly, but common sense says glow plugs first there the cheaper of the two options. Mine had similar issue but turned out to be a sticky solenoid on injector, real headache finding it though as it would happen for weeks then stop for a while, every time I got the oscilloscope out it decided to work normally.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Yes well over 30 seconds each time no differance will search about for a set I haven't ever changed them had the car 3 years so I suppose it's about time.
Have to say the differance 8n reliability between the 156/GT (had 3 2.4 156's chip em don't over do the revs the gearbox can't handle it ;)) and the 159. Had the 159 three I service oil and filter twice a year myself and I have replaced rear pads on the 159 nothing else wrong.
156/GT's well bushes bushes bushes every few months. My own fault it's the 18" low pros brought it on myself but speed of the GT over the 159 (Same 1.9 engine as 159 is also 06) is much greater but with more comes more smoke. Put in that Teso crap and it smokes no matter what Esso super stuff hardly at all.

Thanks will be a few days before I can get it done will update to let you know wether it is resolved or not.

they are more fragile than the 159 derived cars no doubt, but for me the 159 and 159 derived cars are much less of a drivers car, heavier and less nimble. great Mway cruisers for sure but just not exciting.

sounds to me like you have some other underlying issues if you are getting lots of black smoke, you will bet a bit under load but not excessive unless there is a boost/vacuum leak or maf/map/turbo issue.

start with new glow plugs (V,easy) and that should help your cold start problem, then have a look at the rest of the above.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks will do. As the GT is much faster than the 159 I think it may have been remapped. Can't believe it's that much lighter for the omff it gives over the 159. I believe my 2.4 smoked more after the remapping but with an extra 40hp I didn't care!

Glow plugs on their way

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Might want to get the battery on a trickle charge too. All that cranking means it will take a beating.

Does your GT have swirl flaps (some 06 models do). If they are leaking, this can affect starting (slow to crank and wobbly on the revs) - this can also cause a smokey start.

....look for lots of oil residue around the flaps and the bar that moves the flaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well seems changing the glow plugs hasn't resolved the issue small freeze new years morning stopped it from starting again. The only other thing I can think of is it may be the fuel filter. I say this as I have changed it this year and only had issues when the cold hit last year was ok.
Again I think it may be this as it does start but coughs and dies several times before it does eventually start.

I do get water in the fuel error pop up but then I have had the same on my 3 156's previously I put this down to crappy large grocery store fuel naming no one!
I have had the last 3 tanks with Essex one of which was the super diesel stuff just in case it was that.

So thoughts? Should I change the fuel filter?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I do get water in the fuel error pop up but then I have had the same on my 3 156's previously I put this down to crappy large grocery store fuel naming no one!
I have had the last 3 tanks with Essex one of which was the super diesel stuff just in case it was that.

So thoughts? Should I change the fuel filter?

Thanks
I use the same "crappy" supermarket fuel myself, about £80-90 worth a week... Not once had the water-in-fuel notification come up... Not convinced it's down the fuel!

You could try and bleed out the suspected "water".. The sensor has a little drain built right in to it if you unscrew it gently.. That will empty out whatever is being picked up as water and let you get some fresh stuff through...

·
Registered
870 Posts
'The problem is the throttle body actuator is closing the butterfly valve on startup and immediately causing it to stall, and then when the engine is turned off the actuator pops up again as it should after a few seconds.'

Extract from post: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engi...rottle-actuator-problem-156-1-9-jtdm-16v.html

Take a look at the throttle valve when it won't run. Does it close immediately after start, and starve the engine of air?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was wondering wether that part at the bottom of the fuel filter could be unscrewed or not. How much are we talking about, is it just the water build up or will it be the whole amount held in the filter? I.e. do I need something below to catch a little or a lot.

Will give it a go tommorow on a 12 hour shift today.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I was wondering wether that part at the bottom of the fuel filter could be unscrewed or not. How much are we talking about, is it just the water build up or will it be the whole amount held in the filter? I.e. do I need something below to catch a little or a lot.

Will give it a go tommorow on a 12 hour shift today.
If it's the same set up in the 156 as the GT then its a water eliminator filter, so any water that makes its way into the fuel system gets caught at the filter and accumulates until there's enough to activate the sensor.

If you unplug all the wires/connectors, unhook the quick connect fuel lines from the top, then remove the whole filter assembly... Then just gently undo the sensor in the bottom unto fuel stars to drain out through the drain hole.. Should be able to see a difference if there genuinely is water in there, as the water will drain through first...

When you've refit the lot, it might take a while at MAR position to re-prime the filter, but give it time and crank it over a few times and it should fire right up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts