Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys,

My Alfa runs perfectly until it reaches operating temperature. When it reaches operating temperature (90 degrees celcius, after about 20 min) the engine stutters throughout the rev range and there is often substantial powerloss. The car idles well and there is no unusual smoking. I have cleaned the EGR,which was in good condtion, and have also isolated the MAF sensor but nothing has worked... Any ideas on what could be the issue?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Amazingly (unsurprisingly) I have just got this exact fault...

Except maybe the temperature thing.

My JTD engine judders quite violently under load. (accelerating or maintaining reasonable speeds), this juddering vanishes if I disengage the clutch. It also doesn't seem to happen going downhill, and is not associated to any particular speed or rev range. Therefore I am thinking it is not a driveshaft or DMF issue as some have suggested, but rather a problem with the air/fuel mixture so either a sensor or a leak in the exhaust system.

I did just get the car back from having the exhaust manifold fixed with a new gasket so that might be related.

I'm gonna ask a mechanic friend for opinion tomorrow or sunday so I'll try and let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amazingly (unsurprisingly) I have just got this exact fault...

Except maybe the temperature thing.

My JTD engine judders quite violently under load. (accelerating or maintaining reasonable speeds), this juddering vanishes if I disengage the clutch. It also doesn't seem to happen going downhill, and is not associated to any particular speed or rev range. Therefore I am thinking it is not a driveshaft or DMF issue as some have suggested, but rather a problem with the air/fuel mixture so either a sensor or a leak in the exhaust system.

I did just get the car back from having the exhaust manifold fixed with a new gasket so that might be related.

I'm gonna ask a mechanic friend for opinion tomorrow or sunday so I'll try and let you know.
Okay awesome looking forward to hear the update!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Temperature related so could be wiring in the engine bay.
Or crack in head or exhaust manifold expanding.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've found the reason for mine. - Hole in the air hose.

It looks like some air intake apparatus at the front of the car was not properly secured to it's mount, the resulting forces have caused the air hose to completely break just past the MAF (Under the battery tray)

This is good news (I think) because it should just be a replacement hose. However in order to do this I had the battery out for an hour or more, and when I put it back in the fuel gauge doesn't work. Don't know if I've knocked a wire somewhere and can't find a wiring diagram for love nor money...

Can the ECU resetting also affect the fuel gauge measurements? Not sure.
Of if anyone knows which fuse or relay I need to check?

Cheers,

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Does the fuel warning light come on?

Did you try disconnecting the battery for a while and then try again?

If you were working on the car on a slope when you reconnected the battery then the level reported will be wrong. If your tank was fairly empty then it could indicate fully empty instead of the true level.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Does the fuel warning light come on?

Did you try disconnecting the battery for a while and then try again?

If you were working on the car on a slope when you reconnected the battery then the level reported will be wrong. If your tank was fairly empty then it could indicate fully empty instead of the true level.
Yes, the needle sits at zero and the light comes on. There was about 10 litres (one chunk of 5 pips) in there before I started. It's only on a *very* slight slope... I don't think that's the issue, I think it has been reset somehow. I'm going to put some fuel in later and see if it moves, other than that I've checked all the wires I can see.

I wonder if when the ECU resets it takes the new level as zero? We'll see what I fill up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts