Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
the hot news there is this bit:

"Alfa also may reverse its plan to export a restyled Giulietta hatchback to the United State in mid-2013. U.S. clinics showed that the Giulietta's cockpit feels too narrow to potential customers there, one of the sources said."
Aside from wanting to say "don't have such fat a$$es then" and "chose the right people to ask", it makes me wonder if this will be a serious issue for the Chrysler relaunch? Without a quick cash cow, what can lead FIAT/Chrysler into the US again, surely not a 15,000 vehicle limited run of the 4C?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
You've heard of the Dodge Dart? That's the big model for Chrysler/Fiat in the USA. There's also a Chrysler 100 or 200 to come from this design. Dart is a three-box design, and is wider than Giulietta.

This story is about launching the Giulietta into the USA, and I think they've hit the nail on the head. Americans detest hatchback cars. You need to go there and look at what drives past you, but it's true. 3-doors can just about get away with being called Coupés, but regular 5-door hatchbacks have no interest at all. It's not just fat arses, it's that the roads are wider, and the average size of car is also larger. It's very hard to ask for a lot of money for a car unless it's big.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I adore the stupidity of a nation of consumers who wanted badly built floppy tin boxes that are BIG, and where only BIG counts. Not design, not quality, not economy, not safety and not in-city convenience. BIG. The US manufacturers spent billions telling the US consumer that BIG is what makes the US great, and they bought them.

Oh, look - Detroit is now a wasteland

BC.SD? I rest my case

1 - 4 of 4 Posts