Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the image released for the new Alfa Giulietta:cool: it struck me that with its minimal rear overhang it could make an excellent Touring Car. Alfa Romeo need to return to the race tracks to boost their image and profile, sponsoring sailing boats is a waste of money imo, they should invest the money in racing the Alfa Giulietta.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I'm with you on this:cool:

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Looking at the image released for the new Alfa Giulietta:cool: it struck me that with its minimal rear overhang it could make an excellent Touring Car. Alfa Romeo need to return to the race tracks to boost their image and profile, sponsoring sailing boats is a waste of money imo, they should invest the money in racing the Alfa Giulietta.
They haven't got a suitable engine:(

H

·
0 Posts
A far better return to motorpsort would (IMO) be in the world GT1 Championship, with an 8C team. (although that would have to be privateer entry backed by Alfa, since actual manufacturer entries are banned)

·
Registered
32,442 Posts

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
A far better return to motorpsort would (IMO) be in the world GT1 Championship, with an 8C team. (although that would have to be privateer entry backed by Alfa, since actual manufacturer entries are banned)
Now that would be great, if only.......:Hmm:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
BTCC is nothing but expensive club racing nowadays, the glory has gone with no manufacturers in it :( Its also been degraded to a lower spec ITV channel :lol:

This is interesting if you ever wondered how a touring car is designed, not to spark any BTCC rumours though! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
no manufacturers???

Ford with AON
Honda with Team Dynamics (now known as Team Honda)
Chevy with RML

there the manufacturers this year.:p:lol:

And as for TV, degraded, i wouldnt say that, i get over 6hrs of motorsport when there on. better than an 1hr on the Beeb. and the adverts are so short you dont notice anyway :lol:

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
:lol: As many as three!!! So as I said, it's glorified club racing... Thats that just my opinion of course.

H

·
0 Posts
BTCC is nothing but expensive club racing nowadays, the glory has gone with no manufacturers in it :( Its also been degraded to a lower spec ITV channel :lol:
A series doesn't need manufacturers to be a 'top series'

I'd rather see more privateers in all levels of motorsport, rather than manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
A series doesn't need manufacturers to be a 'top series'

I'd rather see more privateers in all levels of motorsport, rather than manufacturers.
In BTCC, I think it does + it generally brings proffesionalism to the sport and attracts more well known drivers as only manufacturers can pay them the wages they demand.
I could start a team tomorrow and enter as a driver (subject to licence) if I had 200k+ to spend but it wouldnt make it any more entertaining on track though, just look at pinkney and others those last few years :lol:

Anyway as I said, its just my opinion.

H

·
0 Posts
In BTCC, I think it does + it generally brings proffesionalism to the sport and attracts more well known drivers as only manufacturers can pay them the wages they demand.
I could start a team tomorrow and enter as a driver (subject to licence) if I had 200k+ to spend but it wouldnt make it any more entertaining on track though, just look at pinkney and others those last few years :lol:

Anyway as I said, its just my opinion.
Manufacturers tend to swell the budgets, and force everyone else to overspend in order just to tread water.
Eventually the bubble bursts and you end up with a lot of teams leaving in a short space of time (as we saw in the years following the supertourer era of the BTCC) and a series that struggles to even keep going.

It's nice in the short term, but longer term it does a series no good whatsoever.

I mentioned the manufacturer-less series that has just started, the GT1 World Championship. In my opinion, this is a great way to run a series, controlled budgets, and a strong grid full of independants, some of whom have a small degree of race support from the manufacturers, but ultimately the big names have no say in the series itself.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Manufacturers tend to swell the budgets, and force everyone else to overspend in order just to tread water.
Eventually the bubble bursts and you end up with a lot of teams leaving in a short space of time (as we saw in the years following the supertourer era of the BTCC) and a series that struggles to even keep going.

It's nice in the short term, but longer term it does a series no good whatsoever.

I mentioned the manufacturer-less series that has just started, the GT1 World Championship. In my opinion, this is a great way to run a series, controlled budgets, and a strong grid full of independants, some of whom have a small degree of race support from the manufacturers, but ultimately the big names have no say in the series itself.
The GT1 has cars from six manufacturers,pro drivers and budgets are rumoured between 500.000-1.000.000€ plus the cost of the car.

H

·
0 Posts
The GT1 has cars from six manufacturers,pro drivers and budgets are rumoured between 500.000-1.000.000€ plus the cost of the car.
But the manufacturers aren't actively involved. And that is the point, they can't hold any sway over the series itself, as they tend to do in manufacturer led series. (see the politics of F1 in recent years as a perfect example). The teams are all independants.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts

LOL,anything that is FIA status never is(independant/manufacturer-less),except maybe on the surface.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts