Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alfa Giulietta MA - It using a lot of oil

5301 Views 107 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Tickets
Good day everyone. My G is using a lot of oil. Every 2000km I have to add about 2L of oil. I replace the PCV valve and did take it to a turbo expert to check the turbo. They say the turbo is fine and replace the boost control valve and the MAP sensor but did replace the turbo seals. On the intake side of the turbo there is a bit of oil not sure if this is fine on not. I also decat it. I notice if I rev it to 4000rpm some blue smoke out of the exhaust.

Kind regards
Kevin
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

· Registered
Giuilietta veloce 1.4 multiair & Merc C180 coupe
642 Posts
Good day. Update. Confirm that that my piston rings are shot. They leak 15%. The air is coming out of my dipstick. So now need to strip more off to inspect the cylinder bores and test if they are not oval. Will update as I go on.

Kind Regards
Where do you stand regarding your warranty?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Automotive tire Audio equipment Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

Good day. I have an update and its not the best news. Cylinder 1 as I suspected is stuffed. A pice of the piston is broken. Please see attached photos
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Audio equipment Rim Gas

Automotive tire Fluid Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Rim Tread Gas Automotive wheel system

Any recommendations except of change the motor... please I don't want to hear that

Kind regards
Kevin

· Registered
642 Posts
View attachment 981886
Good day. I have an update and its not the best news. Cylinder 1 as I suspected is stuffed. A pice of the piston is broken. Please see attached photos View attachment 981885

View attachment 981884

View attachment 981883

Any recommendations except of change the motor... please I don't want to hear that

Kind regards
Kevin
If you have a local engine/engineering shop they should be able to line the bore or if it’s a wet liner fit a replacement and fit a new piston for you.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Need to go oversized about 0 10?
What will happen if I just hone the cylinder, install std size piston with rings?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Only got the G sins end of Aug 2022. In Sept I change oil with the recommended spec from the dealers and change the MA filter. The G did got full service history from the deals that why i bought it.

· Registered
642 Posts
Need to go oversized about 0 10?
What will happen if I just hone the cylinder, install std size piston with rings?
Without using a bore comparator to check the bore you can’t say for sure. I would say it’s a 50/50. You might get away with it and get years trouble free motoring. Or you might not.

· Registered
642 Posts
Just out of interest did you not have any noise from the engine? A single noisy tappet type sound? It might also be worth checking that you are using the correct spark plugs and oil as mentioned previously. The last thing you want is to get it up and running again just to suffer the same fate.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Iam replacement every thing. All new and original Alfa. Must I replace only cylinder 1 rings or must I replace all 4 cylinder rings. I do replace cylinder 1 piston. Like to find out about the 3 remaining cylinders. Can anyone point me to elearn for giulietta. Thank u

· Registered
43,018 Posts
It is probably best to replace all of the rings in every cylinder as well as giving the bores the correct hone (if recommended)

Otherwise you will get uneven ring sealing and compression across cylinders.

· Registered
642 Posts
You‘ve come this far it would be a shame to do half a job. Remember, when you’re installing the pistons make sure the gaps in the rings are positioned opposite the thrust side of the engine.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Good day. Can someone please give me the upper cylinder head torque settings and order to torque it. Thank u

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Thanks Tickets. I got that sorted
G is done. I started it about 2 hr back. No more lifters noises. I idle it for about 30 min. At 20 min it I slightly rev it to 2k and it sounds much better. Tomorrow do an engine flush with new oil and filter and going to drive about 100km. Drain oil again. Then going for 500km at max 2k rev. Drain again with engine flush and put new filter and oil in. Then after about 1000km at slightly higher rev at max 3k drain again oil and then it should be okay.

Any thoughts on my on take on this
Remember new rings and big ends on all cylinders

Kind regards
Kevin

61 - 80 of 108 Posts