Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm thinking of getting either a 1.4 petrol or 2.0 diesel Giulietta. It will be a Veloce. Which, in your opinions is the best of the two models?

Also, are there any significant or potential issues to look out for over and above the normal mechanical things (eg like the M32 gearbox in the 159 1.9 or DPF issues / Multiair issues)?

Sometimes, with Alfas, the five-year mark is when significant issues come to light! Sort of a buyer's guide I guess.

I've owned Alfas for 20 years so am not new to the brand - just new to the Giulietta.

So, in conclusion, which is the best model to go for that has the maximum punch and what do I look out for? Prices seem to be holding their own on the second-hand market at the moment and there are plenty of examples to be looking at. My pref would be metallic red with 18" teledial alloys but one can dream!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
The one with the most BHP packs the biggest punch, simples...

Diesels have issues with egr coller coverscracking and leaking coolant, multiairs fail. chances of getting either issue seem to be about equal.

No dpf issues so far.

rear wiring loom (where the wires go from the body to the boot) seem to be the biggest issue so far.

start/stop issues are 99% chance caused by a failing or wrong battery.

door cards can rattle where the speakers are mounted, but has been a while since I've seen complaints.

If you break the interior door handle, you need a whole new door card.

Front suspension can be squeaky, but silicone grease/oil seems to help.

If I missed anything, please fill in guys

·
Registered
36,829 Posts
There should be an easy search for every time this question is asked or it'll simply be summarised each time. Door cards, which are "door trims", on my car do not rattle. Multiair failure has been covered and not as common as your summarised answer suggests. Veloce versus Lusso has also been discussed already; can be searched.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I specifically put the door cards in there for you ;)

The egr cooler cover isn't very common either. I only suggested that the odds of getting either problem is about even.

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
Both are great in their own way, you cannot go too far wrong with either.

Petrol is a bit quicker off the line, diesel quicker in the midrange.

Petrol sounds better, but Diesel gives better MPG...

Depends on what you want really. :)

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
There should be an easy search for every time this question is asked or it'll simply be summarised each time. Door cards, which are "door trims", on my car do not rattle. Multiair failure has been covered and not as common as your summarised answer suggests. Veloce versus Lusso has also been discussed already; can be searched.
Cue, I know you monitor this section of AO closely, are there many reports of MA failure these days?
Was anything done or improved with the Multiair at the first facelift (2014)?

·
Registered
36,829 Posts
Cue, I know you monitor this section of AO closely, are there many reports of MA failure these days?
Was anything done or improved with the Multiair at the first facelift (2014)?
I get the impression that the issue was on the earlier Multiairs which were mainly in Mitos. I haven't seen many accounts of Giuliettas with MA failure. I know I may be biased but I can't remember that many reports on here with a Giulietta. My own experience was that mine had a misfire when the first service was nearly due and an accompanying panic .The car went straight to the dealers following a diagnostic check by the RAc who wiped the error code but the dealer serviced the car and ,touch wood , 40000 miles later it has not recurred.
I don't know if they would have waited for the series one facelift to do anything to the engine. My misfire appeared to be the result of too low oil level for the actuators.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
:thumbup: Thanks Cue.
If anything had been done to the MA I don't think Alfa would've announced it anyway, for obvious reasons.
Good to hear there's not much been reported on here regarding failure, hopefully just a few isolated cases with the 'G'.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I had rhe same dilema on what to choose. Tested several engines 1.6 diesel/170 diesel/ 170 petrol multair. In the end the car came avail with a 120bhp petrol which we find very capable and are very pleased with it.#Just on the multair topic my brother;s 170 bhp has just failed and has had to have a replacement unit from Alfa. Not cheap.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
I had rhe same dilema on what to choose. Tested several engines 1.6 diesel/170 diesel/ 170 petrol multair. In the end the car came avail with a 120bhp petrol which we find very capable and are very pleased with it.#Just on the multair topic my brother;s 170 bhp has just failed and has had to have a replacement unit from Alfa. Not cheap.
I've driven my dad's 120 and it does indeed seem very capable, quite nippy in fact.
There's also less to go wrong with that engine as you allude to, so not a bad choice at all.

Reactions: cue2
1 - 13 of 13 Posts