Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new every day car... I currently have a 2017 Audi A4 Avant which I lease for my business as many people do... I do like it, but I don't love. It's a nice car, it does everything i want, its nice to drive, loads of gadgets, been cheap to run and maintain. But not really a drivers car. So I thought perhaps I would look at an Alfa Giulia I was amazed at how much more expensive the lease prices are then an Audi, BMW or a Merc. Also how reluctant the Alfa dealers seem to be to do a deal (either lease, PCP or cash) compared to Audi, BMW or Merc dealers. This surely account for why the Giulia is such a rare sight on the road (at least around here). The fact is I can get the equivalent Audi (price wise) for about £200 per month less than the Alfa. So I will be ordering another Audi - which is shame! and sticking with old Alfas.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
Audi started over 30 years ago with the process of becoming a lease car alternative to BMW. They approached lease companies and encouraged them to quote on an Audi when a customer asked for one on a BMW or Mercedes. They then supported residuals knowing they weren’t going to match BMW or Mercedes until they got a foothold. Why Alfa hasn’t done this by now is weird but the German “premium” brands are masters at this. They get the sales volumes and sell the returned 3year old cars for 50% of new price , which they admit they could’ve broken even on first time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to see Alfa succeed, and to command a premium price but it doesn't make sense to hold out on their pricing when the competition, which are already more popular and desirable to many, will readily undercut them. If Alfa want to get back to where they used to be in the market they need to get Giulias & Stelvios on to the roads and lots of them! Only then will the general car buying public consider them as a real alternative to the German brands and then they can be harder on pricing...

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
They want a £43k BMW X4 if the £38k Stelvio Super is also £410 a month. Personally I find the German car repugnant. I used to drive Audis but that was before they got vulgar.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a daily driver really not fussed if I love the car, it is a tool to enable me to do my job, it would be nice if it was a car I loved but it makes poor business sense to go for the Alfa when I can get an Audi of better spec for less than £300 per month with less than a grand down! I can use the money I save to buy an old GTV6 or Alfasud!

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Alfas residual values are the main difference in the monthly charge....they are just not worth as much at the end of the term....which of course the finance company has to allow for. Otherwise all cars of the same purchase price would have the same monthly payment....which they clearly don't. Glasses price on the cooking Guilia models compared to BMWs and Mercs that cost very similar when new are rather less when used.....that's what you have to pay for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alfas residual values are the main difference in the monthly charge....they are just not worth as much at the end of the term....which of course the finance company has to allow for. Otherwise all cars of the same purchase price would have the same monthly payment....which they clearly don't. Glasses price on the cooking Guilia models compared to BMWs and Mercs that cost very similar when new are rather less when used.....that's what you have to pay for.
Such a shame that they have never shaken off the (at times unfairly judged) reputation. VW have managed to transform Skoda from a joke to a desirable car, I don't understand why Fiat have been unable to do this with Alfa!

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
I’d be amazed if there was anybody who wasn’t aware of that! Producing so many models prevents BMW and Audi appearing to oversupply the cars. Alfa having two models probably doesn’t help but BMW and Audi aren’t doing brilliantly at the moment and near future with transition to electric cars is going to be an issue..

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
£200 more each month for a Giulia over the equivalent Audi does explain why I've seen perhaps no more than a dozen since they went on sale. It's a big price to pay to be 'different', though let's face it, it's not that much different from the German 3-boxes.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
The Giulia has already dropped into the trap that’ll make the residuals even worse by not changing it enough after three years to get existing buyers to replace theirs with another and also to prevent new ones looking just like a used one but more expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts