Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Tonale has been confirmed for late next year.
As a full EV or just a PHEV? I can't see the point in hybrids, to be honest. Seems like way too much to go wrong. I know the petrolheads will disagree, but I think Alfa should be pioneering full EV cars. They have a history of technological innovation and being ahead of the curve, after all. My Duetto's 53 years old, and has all round disc brakes and a five speed synchro gearbox - state of the art at the time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
EV, why not, but hopefully better looking than most modern cars at the moment and not the pointless 2wd SUV's that abound. Perhaps EV the Giulia shape and a wagon version. Also with easy to replace batteries so they can have a longer lifespan. Also perhaps a simple, affordable but attractive small EV model in the spirit of the old sud without too many unnecessary gizmos, even perhaps a very basic but attractive base model.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As a full EV or just a PHEV? I can't see the point in hybrids, to be honest. Seems like way too much to go wrong. I know the petrolheads will disagree, but I think Alfa should be pioneering full EV cars. They have a history of technological innovation and being ahead of the curve, after all. My Duetto's 53 years old, and has all round disc brakes and a five speed synchro gearbox - state of the art at the time.
There is what the enthusiasts want and what actually generates sales yes...

Like I'd NEVER buy a diesel again, and I personally feel it isn't becoming of an Alfa Romeo but the sales figures and others will disagree.

PHEVs are currently somewhat silly a design idea as they're in some ways the worst of all worlds. They need to be constantly plugged in or are not too effective. They are also pretty heavy vehicles and there are concerns about the long term reliability since they're packed with new tech. They can be very fast however, I've spent some time in the Mini Clubman S PHEV and although it "only" has 221bhp, I assure you they are rapid until motorway speeds. 0 to 50 or 60 is likely faster than my Busso 3.0 despite giving away hundreds of kg in weight (the Clubman is something insane like 1700kg).

I say go to whatever keeps the brand going, even if the current trend is hybrid soft roader SUVs... Hopefully there will be money left over to develop sports cars if enough volume sells!

·
Registered
947 Posts
A full electric Tonale, at a decent price, what's not to like. But then I do think 'small' SUVs are great, even though at one time, like many on this forum, I despised them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is every likelihood that not even Alfa know for sure what is next, but it is hard to believe that an EV is not in the pipeline.

So, The Tonale appears to be a 2020 midsize SUV hybrid based on a Chrysler platform

And Autocar is reporting a 2022 small size EV to be based on a Peugeot platform.

Source - Alfa Romeo plots small electric SUV for 2022 | Autocar

So, thats 3 SUV's :-0.... But the rumoured 2021 Ferrari Purosangue SUV looks a lot like a Stelvio to me...

So in summary, who really knows!

·
Registered
34,859 Posts
“So, The Tonale appears to be a 2020 midsize SUV hybrid based on a Chrysler platform...”

A Chrysler platform?
PSA or FCA Italy, more like.

·
Registered
34,859 Posts
SUV where the S actually stands for Sporty.
Try a Stelvio.
Chrysler? Where is Alfa using Chrysler bits?

·
Registered
AR159 SW 2.4JTDm Q-Tronic Ti
48 Posts
TBH with you, I'd like to see Giulia/Giulia QV SW and option for Hybrid system... would sell like hell in EU...

Imagine QV with frontal additional eV parts...

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I'd like to see an electric replacement for the 4C. Lunatic acceleration would be great, while the high cost and restricted range would be less bothersome in that market.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd like to see an electric replacement for the 4C. Lunatic acceleration would be great, while the high cost and restricted range would be less bothersome in that market.
I saw an article a while back about somebody who had converted one. Can't remember where, but I thought it would be a brilliant use of that ultra-light body.

·
Registered
16 Posts
EV is fine - we have to accept it and it allows for a lower profile and lower CG.

So Alfa can work to its strengths and focus on stylish Italian cars that are cool, comfortable and handle - yes?

No well apparently not because what better way to reflect that experience and sense of being than stick it on stilts.

An EV road car without taking the advantages of an EV is a waste of time.What’s the point of investing in F1 to sell SUVs that will always be compromised. No doubt there will be people who start radically altering Tonales in a year or two to drop the suspension pick up points.

·
Registered
34,859 Posts
EVs need space for a battery pack, generally under the floor, making an SUV layout more suitable. The Stelvio doesn’t feel like it’s stuck on stilts.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts