Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't that crazy? All horrible stories we hear regarding recession and how difficult it is for car manufacturers. I have budget to spend on a new car by end of this year and AR is not able to sell me Giulia. You cannot order current model enymore. Neither the 2020 model. Waiting since November.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey, its nice to see a fellow Slovak member here. I, too, had my bit of dealership woes lately, unfortunately not regarding a new car (it isnt that I wouldnt like one). My share of pain was with 2 of the dealerships, hunting for spares for my GT. Absolutely unhelpful, it almost seemed they were in the "its dead brand for us anyway" mindset. It was in the third dealership visited, that I found an enthusiast seller willing to look for the stuff I needed, and eventually we sourced the parts. Then we proceeded to talk all things italian, and I even booked an Abarth 595 rivale test drive. So all in all, my share of experience with them was a bit sad, hopefully when I am getting a new car it will be different.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Strange as you can still order a MY2019 RHD here in the UK
Are you sure it's not just choosing a car that is on stock?

Hey, its nice to see a fellow Slovak member here. I, too, had my bit of dealership woes lately, unfortunately not regarding a new car (it isnt that I wouldnt like one). My share of pain was with 2 of the dealerships, hunting for spares for my GT. Absolutely unhelpful, it almost seemed they were in the "its dead brand for us anyway" mindset. It was in the third dealership visited, that I found an enthusiast seller willing to look for the stuff I needed, and eventually we sourced the parts. Then we proceeded to talk all things italian, and I even booked an Abarth 595 rivale test drive. So all in all, my share of experience with them was a bit sad, hopefully when I am getting a new car it will be different.
Nice to hear from you as well. If you'd like we can meet in Bratislava.

Which dealer did you find most helpful at the end? I was talking to Motorcar and Grif as they are the only official dealers left. Right?

·
Registered
146 Posts
There were no MY19 UK cars in stock with the specification I wanted so it had to be a factory build and my local dealer was still accepting orders last week.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like an importer problem rather than an Alfa problem. Go to Poland and order one there.

Ralf S.
Wish I could. Since it will be financed by Slovak operating leasing company. Not much choice. Crazy how a poor importer can ruin customer experience. Wondering why FCA is not having higher standards in this respect.

·
Registered
13,203 Posts
Wish I could. Since it will be financed by Slovak operating leasing company. Not much choice. Crazy how a poor importer can ruin customer experience. Wondering why FCA is not having higher standards in this respect.
That's a pisser. I'm surprised the importer is so bad that they are affecting sales. It's never happened anywhere else. Apart from UK.. Ireland... France... Germany.. Australia... :D

In that case, contact the importer directly (cc. the factory in Italy) to find out what's going on. If you wants a Giulia, you should be able to order one.

Ralf S.

·
Administrator
86,433 Posts
Alfa may have closed the order book for LHD Alfas for the switch over to the MY20, it's likely only already built stock MY19 are available until they are taking orders for the new model.

The situation for LHD isn't necessarily going to be the same for RHD ;)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like AR is doing their best not to satisfy their customer. First they promise manual gearbox that never came to life. Then they start to tell you to buy AWD even if you don't need or want it. And last there are no more options like Veloce interior neither Luxury interior for RWD Super. Black roof liner? Forget about it. Veloce interior with wood trim on the dash? Are you crazy?

Looks like engineers and designers did their best to create a competitive machine that had all the chances to success. However those *#$(% from finance and marketing know better. I bet most of them don't have a clue what it means combustion engine not even being able to describe how it works.

·
Registered
32,680 Posts
So what you’re saying is that there is a version of the Giulia which you would buy but it costs more than you’re prepared to pay? It’s like train tickets ; they maximise revenue by selling some at high prices and some at lower prices. Or am I not following your point?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In contrary. I’m prepared to pay more to get RWD 280 bhp manual with e.g. Veloce trim in and out in finest leather and real wood with ESP that can be turned off so LSD makes sense. All of it is available in parts from suppliers to AR. They just force you take decision to take what you don’t want.

·
Registered
32,680 Posts
All manufacturers avoid complexity by creating packs of options bundled so that they don’t have to stock millions of permutations line-side. Often there will be parts involved that have a high perceived value with items that are more costly than buyers expect.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really! What is the reason for removing luxury option for Super model? Why could you have black roof liner until now and will not from 2020? Why there was Veloce trim available for RWD Super and is not? Do you think there is something so difficult in production to let the ECU be programmed allowing 280 bhp performance?

·
Registered
32,680 Posts
The idea is to get revenue and less stuff waiting by the line. An engine arrives finished and won’t have an eco mod made there. They know what the 280 means to people in value so they only put it in more expensive models. The same for luxury pack. As the Cassino plant stops a lot , FCA don’t want to hold loads of stock for when demand picks up. Everybody works just-in-time.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exactly what I said in the beginning. It is not anymore to design and manufacture the best vehicle. It is not about satisfying a customer. It’s about making money. Right?

·
Registered
32,680 Posts
It’s a business!
I worked for an OEM for over 30 years and this is what it’s about. Otherwise you don’t make revenue and the bills aren’t paid.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where do you think this is going then? What is the point of having options. Let’s make one model from one manufacturer for everyone. Wouldn’t that save some cents in production?

Nevertheless look at other commercially successful brands. Are Germans doing the same? Not really. Are they profitable?

·
Registered
32,680 Posts
Let’s take an example from Audi. They offer a great deal of permutations but , in the U.K. for example, they concentrate on putting all the deals on S-Line models https://www.audi.co.uk/finance-and-offers/offer-highlights.html
These models attract a high percentage of their sales with relatively simple batches of production. A factory order wait of 10 weeks avoided by the customer and popular options in a better deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts