Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very happy with the fuel economy of my GT !

This is the first Diesel Alfa I have owned, and was looking forward to the savings…

In my 156 for £20 I used to get around 150 miles usage.

In my GT for £20 I get 220 miles usage!!!!

It drives better, looks better, and I just love being in it.

I never thought it, but I love diesel engines!

·
Registered
40 Posts
£20 of diesel is about 19.4 litres at the moment (assumption of 1L = £1.03), so if you drive 220 miles you're getting approximately 51mpg by my calculation.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Personally I think its a bit sad that the best (newer/modern) alfa's are the diesel versions :(

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not sad. Alfa had to make this move. It is what people want because of the cost of fuel.

If petrol was cheaper, then it would be another story.

·
Registered
694 Posts
As a recent convert to the GT, as well as to diesel (coming from a Brera), the mpg is a lovely quality!
3.2 Brera approx 22/23mpg, 80+% Motorway driving. GT about twice that!
OK, its a bit of an unfair comparison but the novelty hasn't quite worn off yet.
I plan to have a remap soon, & I'm told that after the remap, the MPG readout on the trip computer goes a bit wonky, so I'll have about 1 more month of looking at the readout saying 45mpg before I switch it to a different parameter.
Matt.

·
Registered
941 Posts
As a recent convert to the GT, as well as to diesel (coming from a Brera), the mpg is a lovely quality!
3.2 Brera approx 22/23mpg, 80+% Motorway driving. GT about twice that!
OK, its a bit of an unfair comparison but the novelty hasn't quite worn off yet.
I plan to have a remap soon, & I'm told that after the remap, the MPG readout on the trip computer goes a bit wonky, so I'll have about 1 more month of looking at the readout saying 45mpg before I switch it to a different parameter.
Matt.

I had my GT remapped and the mpg is about the same. What you will notice is the pulling power from low down the revs thus needing not to change gear to often! And of course the extra power. I've got 196bhp!!!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I had my GT remapped and the mpg is about the same. What you will notice is the pulling power from low down the revs thus needing not to change gear to often! And of course the extra power. I've got 196bhp!!!!
Sounds like a winner all round for the remap then!
I was thinking about a slightly milder remap, as I thought a heavy remap may knacker the clutch prematurely?
Any thoughts about that?
Matt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m considering having mine remapped but didn’t know whether this would affect the emissions during the MOT? 196bph sounds a beneficial increase. I need to attain more infor first i think.

I'm not sure if you guys tend to use cruise control or not, I do all the time. Economy increases again when using this function. After a wash and a polish (it does make a difference), on a run to Worcester i'll get in the region of 63's MPG.

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
Sounds like a winner all round for the remap then!
I was thinking about a slightly milder remap, as I thought a heavy remap may knacker the clutch prematurely?
Any thoughts about that?
Matt.
Its driving style that knackers the clutch, not the remap. Use the revs, don't floor it in 4th or above unless you are over 2,500rpm and you'll be fine.

I’m considering having mine remapped but didn’t know whether this would affect the emissions during the MOT? 196bph sounds a beneficial increase. I need to attain more infor first i think.
No issues with MOT test as emissions is done without any load on the engine.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Alfa don't do the V6 in the GT any more as they closed the factory that makes the engine, the Brera has the GM alliance V6... just not the same (and not designed for 156 based models)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm not sure if you guys tend to use cruise control or not, I do all the time. Economy increases again when using this function.
Not on my 159 it doesn't, I get better economy without cruise control. With it engaged, the car wants to accelerate up every slight incline to maintain speed, whereas I'd just let the speed ease off, then get it back going downhill, go with the flow.

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
£20 = 160 miles????

What mpg does that work to, pretty low I suspect?? No mods.
37mpg. Not bad but not brilliant, what sort of journeys are you doing and how do you drive it?

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Thats alright.

Mixture of driving really, I like the diff so like to push it a bit. :lol:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My MPG is crap to be honest, around town I'm getting a return of 32mpg and on a motorway run average 42mpg.

I've tried various driving styles but this is the best I can get my GT to return, not fantastic for a diesel, my Mrs SRI was returning 38mpg in town 52ish on motorways.

I'm picking up her new Golf TDi tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see what that returns.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts