Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These forums often quote dealers info re. new models etc. But my question is, are they ever any better informed than us?

Do they have access to info from AR re. new models and release dates that isn't already on autocar etc?

I tend to think not, certainly my dealer was unaware of the 159 and Brera 1750 TI engines until way after it was spoken about on here, and similarly was unaware of the seating arrangement for the forthcoming Mito GTA, although they will take deposits.

I'd be interested to hear what people think.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Dealers are often reluctant to give info. about new models/engines etc. before officially released in case it stops you buying the outgoing (obsolete) model/engine. In fact I think they are specifically told not to.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Dealers are often reluctant to give info. about new models/engines etc. before officially released in case it stops you buying the outgoing (obsolete) model/engine. In fact I think they are specifically told not to.
Which would be why when i said i was reluctant to continue with my order he said...he didnt know about any new engines.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think you are all right.

Dealers are almost certainly told not to reveal details of new models they may have heard about for fear of hurting current sales, and many salesmen are genuinely woefully ignorant.

You'd think they'd be car enthusiasts, but they ususally aren't, they are just salesmen - might be sofas next month.

I can't remember the number of times I have told them things and they have been astonished: genuinely. Occasionally you'll meet a very bright, informed one, who knows about the competiton as well, and it was one of those I bought my last car from - I liked him!

I remember one kid telling me the 500 was going to be a two seater. Really, I said, yes he said, look at the photo, and he showed be a scrap from Autocar. I gave him the full details, but he wasn't convinced. Ditto the new engine and model developments. They usually wait for the company info to be released to them.

In short, we who trawl the net because we are genuinely interested will always be better informed than anyone in our dealerships. Well, nearly always.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I actually think AR dealers know nothing abt the cars they r selling........
Tbh, I always think that if I was a car dealer I wud at least know all the stuff abt the car before I sell it to customers, but I dont think thats the case... :/

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Depends on the dealer. They're not all the same. Allams sales were excellent, Northgate are an excellent dealership, very enthuciastic and knowledgeable about the marque.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Absolutely! Mine even managed to get me the wrong car! :cheese:

Currently awaiting my 2nd Mito now! :eek:
Im surprised you can laugh about it mate, Id be RAGING, maybe Im losing my sense of humour as I get older.

Still I see youve got a VERY nice bike to keep you amused
:thumbs:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I work for the Volkswagen Group, selling parts to the motortrade and we don't even get told about new models coming along, we don't get sent on training courses to learn about the products. We're just expected to pick it up as we go along! I only know what new models are coming out by reading the motoring press or by hunting around on the internet.
Some of my colleagues are blissfuly unaware of the products were selling parts for. From time to time they say to me whats a such and such, I ain't heard of one them before!
So I think its motor industry practice to keep their staff in the dark, and drip feed information.
I have to agree, there are an awful lot of car sales people out there who's product Knowledge is appalling!

B

·
0 Posts
Im surprised you can laugh about it mate, Id be RAGING, maybe Im losing my sense of humour as I get older.

Still I see youve got a VERY nice bike to keep you amused
:thumbs:
Lol, I was raging! ;) Seriously though, on the subject of bikes, car dealers could learn something there. I've always had a superb experience buying bikes, it's a different world. The dealers always seem to be willing to do a deal, know what they are on about, offer a brew, remember you and all the things that seem to make the service seem personable and nice. Car dealers are shocking in comparison. I could recommend any of the last bike dealers I've had without hesitation, with cars I'd be struggling at this point to recommend any of them at all and that's with six new cars.

I work for the Volkswagen Group, selling parts to the motortrade and we don't even get told about new models coming along, we don't get sent on training courses to learn about the products. We're just expected to pick it up as we go along! I only know what new models are coming out by reading the motoring press or by hunting around on the internet.
Some of my colleagues are blissfuly unaware of the products were selling parts for. From time to time they say to me whats a such and such, I ain't heard of one them before!
So I think its motor industry practice to keep their staff in the dark, and drip feed information.
I have to agree, there are an awful lot of car sales people out there who's product Knowledge is appalling!
It's so poor though isn't it?! I actually feel a bit embarrassed going into a car dealer and knowing that you know more about a car than they do, and most of the time it's from spending about 10 mins somewhere like this and simply looking at the burning issues. I seriously think that car dealers need to get out of the 90's and really improve their service otherwise more will [rightfully] disappear especially with the likes of sites like drive the deal and broadspeed taking sales instead...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
i agree they need to kick out all the dealers that no nothing about the car they're selling, as we can find out information ourselves on the internet..

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can second what alfaholic156 says....

I spent 11 years working for the motor trade in car dealerships and we always found out far more from the media and online than the manufacturer would ever tell you. The link between the manufacturer and dealer was woeful in terms of new product information. I worked with Seat, Chrysler Jeep, BMW and Mini and all were exactly the same. The same could often be said regarding aftersales issues and aftersales product knowledge at times.

The staff who were generally interested and good at their job made sure they were well informed about what was being said in the motoring press, but many salesmen I worked with over the years are not really car nuts as such and to them it is just about selling what they can sell there and then and how much money they can make from it.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I think the moral of the story is that you need to be clued up yourself about the car you're buying before you go to the dealership... after all you're the one buying it so you should know what the car is... you can't trust the salesmen to tell you.

I'm not sayin you should trust internet forums either, but proper car websites

B

·
0 Posts
Information which may or may not be true...

Ok, no different from average Dealers on that score then, but not everything people write on forums should be taken as gospel... there could be some expensive mistakes made eh..? ;)
I totally agree on all points, however if you go on a forum and there's 600 pages about mirrors falling off, then, real issue or not, then as someone looking to buy a car, you're going to want to know from the dealer that there's no issues with the mirrors and you'd expect a dealer to know what the burning issues are.

Expensive mistakes?! God forbid! ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Information which may or may not be true...

Ok, no different from average Dealers on that score then, but not everything people write on forums should be taken as gospel... there could be some expensive mistakes made eh..? ;)
EXPENSIVE MISTAKES????? NOW YOU BL00DY TELL ME. I ONLY PUT THE DEPOSIT DOWN ON THE POXY CAR BECAUSE (MOST OF) YOU SAID IT WAS MINT. NEVER EVEN SEEN ONE YET. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH:cry::cry::cry: :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts