Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw on the news that a car main dealer had sunk, then saw pics of what looked like sidlow alfa romeo is this true or am i mistaken?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, the Sidlow group went into administration on thursday last week. So all the dealerships have been stripped bare, and a lot of jobs have gone. Not the best news for them and for me, given my new brera was from there less than a month ago!

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Brera was supplied by them(Sidlow) although purchased through Monza Sport. The service I have received from Monza has been excellent. Contact Keith or Bryn I am sure they would be pleased to help. It is a sign of the times though that main dealers will not cope as there focus is sales and maybe the independants will survive as there more geared to servicing and good service. IMHO.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Had a chat at my local dealer when I dropped the car off today. New sales are very poor apparently but they did mention that used was doing well as there are some bargains around.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
being in the motor trade myself its sad alfa dealers cease as they generate sales for a marque i feel has improved greatly in recent times.the style is great, i run alfas myself even though my head tells me to run mercs. alas im sure many more smaller dealers are having hard times, apart from really cheap cars car values have been all over the place.wots annoying is i want another spider to repair and they are holding their value.i got a good 97 merc e320 for 150 quid a 51 plate punto for 325 but cant get a 96 year spider under a grand!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a GT from Sidlow Alfa 2 weeks ago. I received the car in a pub car park opposite the dealership, it hadn't been cleaned particularly well and it had not been checked over properly as there were several obvious things wrong with it, i.e. scratched aluminion plates, scratched boot, scuffed alloys etc etc.

Feel very sorry for the staff though, the owners were probably running it down towards the end.

However, the 'experience' of picking up a new car was no better than buying a used. Not good for Alfa!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I bought a GT from Sidlow Alfa 2 weeks ago. I received the car in a pub car park opposite the dealership, it hadn't been cleaned particularly well and it had not been checked over properly as there were several obvious things wrong with it!
That is shocking!IMHO i would have walked away,that is no way to retail cars to the public.

Clearly there have been concerns about there immediate future within the Co,i hope you have better luck now you have ownership and have trouble free motoring.

D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a GT from Sidlow Alfa 2 weeks ago. I received the car in a pub car park opposite the dealership, it hadn't been cleaned particularly well and it had not been checked over properly as there were several obvious things wrong with it, i.e. scratched aluminion plates, scratched boot, scuffed alloys etc etc.

Feel very sorry for the staff though, the owners were probably running it down towards the end.

However, the 'experience' of picking up a new car was no better than buying a used. Not good for Alfa!
That does sound terrible but was it because they were in the middle of a showroom refurb. I picked up mine there a few weeks ago and the car was in mint condition, Paul met me there at 8am because I was aching to get my hands on it, he even agreed to throw in an alfa pedal car for my boy. I thought the staff were excellent and feel sorry for them. I hope you all get sorted with other jobs soon.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Yes, it's sad about Sidlow - they had a heap of other franchises of course, not only Alfa. How many dealers can survive the huge and relatively sudden slump in sales? Sidlow had moved their Alfa and Seat dealerships to bigger premises early this year, so they obviously didn't see it coming.

I'd echo the recommendation for Bianco at Hookwood. They know what they're doing, are great to deal with, and not much more than half the price per hour of a main dealer.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Heard about this yesterday and real shame and I feel sorry for their staff who lost their jobs.

I was going to look at a car there 3 weeks ago but didn't, sounds like I was lucky because I could have got stung if I had and gone and bought one!

They only recently moved to their new premises and found them useful and helpful for spare parts but never had a great experience with their sales staff. Last time I tried to buy a car they weren't really interested in any sort of deal, it was a case of you pay screen price and we give you crap part-ex and when I say crap I mean the worst anyone offered me and this was against a top priced car. That's just my personal experience, so perhaps that didn't help them and esp. in this current climate of fear; I'm sure other people had much better experiences though.

Fortunately (or unfortunately really) I don't own an Alfa anymore but seriously I have no idea where people in the area are going to get spares from. I can't think where the next nearest Alfa dealer is!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also in the motor trade, bad news for employees of SIDLOW group. However I did see the owner of the company and his son trying to buy back some of the stock from a car auction . He actually did buy a few seat/alfa/vw back. Apparently he is loaded to the gunnels, so why should he care .... its only a limited company!!!! He was buying in someone else's name, ITS OUTRAGEOUS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts