Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having the usual problems with the HRW and SS plus slightly sluggish starting, so charged all day last Friday, Saturday, Sunday perfect. HRW worked, but not SS. Come Monday flat, aarrggh, first time ever with a Alfa. Charged again and got the Giulia to L C motors who confirmed knackered battery, the second time!

Phoned customer care, told them it was changed in June, had full service history and i expect a new one under goodwill as its my 10th Alfa in 20 yrs, spent ££££££££

Just phoned again and was told that it was not with a case manager yet and might not be untill Monday!!!! Are they real. Not happy bunny, thank god its not a engine !!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Been having the usual problems with the HRW and SS plus slightly sluggish starting, so charged all day last Friday, Saturday, Sunday perfect. HRW worked, but not SS. Come Monday flat, aarrggh, first time ever with a Alfa. Charged again and got the Giulia to L C motors who confirmed knackered battery, the second time!

Phoned customer care, told them it was changed in June, had full service history and i expect a new one under goodwill as its my 10th Alfa in 20 yrs, spent ££££££££

Just phoned again and was told that it was not with a case manager yet and might not be untill Monday!!!! Are they real. Not happy bunny, thank god its not a engine !!
This doesn't sound terribly unusual, Alfa/Fiat CS have taken several days to allocate a Case Manager quite routinely when I've dealt with them. They've come good and treated me decently once they've gathered their sh*t together, but speed isn't something that appears to the overriding consideration.

Also bear in mind that the majority of Alfa Customer Services are based in Milan and it won't have escaped you that Milan isn't in a great place at present. I would therefore imagine that this might be excaserbating Alfa's existing slow responses.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
Have you considered whether the virus may be affecting the call centre at Varese?

·
Registered
363 Posts
A couple of months ago my Giulia wouldn't start, everything was completely dead. Emergency number? Yes, but it was inside the car, behind the driver's sun visor, or in the service book locked in the boot,and I couldn't get into the car. So I phoned the dealer, the unenthusiastic and not very helpful Hendy Alfa, now disappeared completely and not missed. After a long wait, they found the number, but they got it wrong, and I had to phone a second time to get the correct one, hopeless! The guy at AR who answered the phone had no record of my car, he insisted at first that the number was on a Mercedes E Class. Eventually I managed to convince him that I'd transferred the plate from the MB when I bought the Alfa. A lot more questions, and he told me that the recovery guy would be with me within an hour, fortunately the dead Alfa was parked in the drive at the side of my house. He turned up in about 40 minutes, diagnosed a dead battery, even though the car had run the day before, his booster pack wasn't up to the job, so he backed his Transit up close, and with jump leads, that fired up my car straight away. He advised me to leave the car idling for at least 20 minutes, then go for a drive, which I did, no problems since. However, the battery was a 3 month old replacement for an original failed one, it took the unimpressive Hendy's one month to obtain the new one, none in the UK so it had to come from Italy. They told me that it had a different part number from the original, "So they've uprated it, it should be better". Fat chance! Since then the dealer have lost all FCA franchises/done a runner, so I have no dealer within at least an hour's drive. I want a new car, and would almost certainly have gone for a new 2020 Veloce, but no reasonably local dealer changes everything, so I'm zeroing in on a BMW 440. I'll really miss my Giulia's delicate feel from the best chassis I've experienced in a long time, but there's not much else about Alfa Romeo generally that I'll regret leaving.behind.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over a day later, bugger all
Looks like Monday now, that will be over three days!

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
A couple of months ago my Giulia wouldn't start, everything was completely dead. Emergency number? Yes, but it was inside the car, behind the driver's sun visor, or in the service book locked in the boot,and I couldn't get into the car. So I phoned the dealer, the unenthusiastic and not very helpful Hendy Alfa, now disappeared completely and not missed. After a long wait, they found the number, but they got it wrong, and I had to phone a second time to get the correct one, hopeless! The guy at AR who answered the phone had no record of my car, he insisted at first that the number was on a Mercedes E Class. Eventually I managed to convince him that I'd transferred the plate from the MB when I bought the Alfa. A lot more questions, and he told me that the recovery guy would be with me within an hour, fortunately the dead Alfa was parked in the drive at the side of my house. He turned up in about 40 minutes, diagnosed a dead battery, even though the car had run the day before, his booster pack wasn't up to the job, so he backed his Transit up close, and with jump leads, that fired up my car straight away. He advised me to leave the car idling for at least 20 minutes, then go for a drive, which I did, no problems since. However, the battery was a 3 month old replacement for an original failed one, it took the unimpressive Hendy's one month to obtain the new one, none in the UK so it had to come from Italy. They told me that it had a different part number from the original, "So they've uprated it, it should be better". Fat chance! Since then the dealer have lost all FCA franchises/done a runner, so I have no dealer within at least an hour's drive. I want a new car, and would almost certainly have gone for a new 2020 Veloce, but no reasonably local dealer changes everything, so I'm zeroing in on a BMW 440. I'll really miss my Giulia's delicate feel from the best chassis I've experienced in a long time, but there's not much else about Alfa Romeo generally that I'll regret leaving.behind.
People were saying the same things after buying 156s twenty years ago and having to deal with Reg Vardy aftercare.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
plus ça change...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was not expecting anything Thursday but nothing Friday, today and no doubt Sunday. Why so bl**dy long, they should be helping customers 24/7!

Any idea what BMW, Audi etc are like?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally called this morning and sorted. Will cost me £30 inc tax with a 2yr warranty. Happy with that, the lady i spoke too said all staff are working from home so there has been a delay. New battery is over £160 plus labour and tax

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
Remember my suggestion 4 days ago that they may have virus issues?!
All resolved now though. I’ve always found customer care very polite and helpful and that was when they were in the office.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True, if they only said that due to the virus there would be a delay that of course would have been fine but they just kept saying its not yet assigned to a case manager. However the lady i dealt with was very pleasant and very helpful. Was very impressed with my Alfa buying history.

·
Registered
32 Posts
People were saying the same things after buying 156s twenty years ago and having to deal with Reg Vardy aftercare.
Yeah a lot of people bought a 156 loved the car but were put off by the aftersales and bought something else next time around. The really great Alfa dealers were the small dealers who were also enthusiasts of the marquee, these guys were a pelasure to deal with. Sadly Alfa (or rather Fiat) forced these guys out in favour of big glass & chrome Fiat dealers from '86 onwards

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
The service manager or chief mechanic at Ancaster dates back to those days as he told me when I drove him in my Giulietta to locate a noise for a warranty fix a couple of years back. He said the cars like the Giulietta were just a case of oil change and tyre replacement compared to diagnosing the 156s. He’s behind a big glass and chrome frontage...

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
You obviously have more personal charm than me... when I asked at the same Ancaster if I could chat to the mechanic, the service receptionist was quite stroppy with me.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
Obviously!
The last time I visited , to get the over-sensitive alarm sensor changed under warranty , the service receptionist said “good to see you again Mr .....”
I felt quite guilty when Thames phoned first to organise the Stelvio’s first service and I thought I should give them a go.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
When I worked for an American company we had plastic cards to take to meetings with all the TLAs printed on them!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts