Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Here's a toughy!
Can ANY BODY shed any light on the standards (British, Euro etc) that Alfas 155,146,145,GTV+Spyder, Lancia Dedras, Fiat Coupes, Fiat Brava/Bravo are built to, with regard primarily to frontal impact and seatbelt. (mainly impact.) Our importers here don't seem to have the info because they get it from OZ and OZ did't have these cars. We need it so anybody can import cars from your part of the world and others. NOBODY can comply a car in New Zealand without a "Certificate of Compliance" from the importer or an official agent stating the standards to which the car is built. It is a racket, and importers are charging up to $900 (GBP 300ish) for these. :mad:

Can ANYBODY help????!!!! :confused:

Thanks

Oliver

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Oliver

The only one I know of is the ENCAP(?) crash tests that most magazines talk about but not sure if thats what you mean. Dont think these are the standards by which the cars are built in the first place but "aftermarket" testing.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Oliver,
What are you bringing in? When I first thought of gettting a 155 I was going to import a Q4 from Japan but the two importers I dealt with didn't want to touch an Alfa with a barge pole - too high a risk of getting a dud, they were more interested in mass market Japas. Plus I soon realised my $18k wouldn't probably go that far looking at the price of Calibra 4x4s and Audi S2s.
I can't think of anyone who would have that info other than the Alfa dealers, but if its for a car not sold here then it might indeed have been built to different standards. Perhaps the Alfa Romeo Owners Club (http://nz.com/webnz/AROCNZ)might be able to help - just trying to think of other people who may have imported something from overseas....
Good luck,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The importers wouldn't touch one 'cos they know nothin' about them. I do, and my brother + I import cars!! Alfa 155s (+Q4s) are plentiful and generaly good, but, 90% are LHD!
We suspect the dealers have't a clue of the standards as they are Aussie based and remember they didn't have these cars and so won't have the figures. The cars are built to a Euro standard, for front impact and I am looking for a European dealer that will tell me!!

ps: $18 isn't even close for a Q4!! Try $28+ !!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you hear that you guys in the UK? £8,500 for a Q4!!!!
Oh well, that's good to know anyway. I did suspect as much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all you New Zealanders
Olive is right, 155s are build to an Euro standard (2 different ones actually,, before and after 9/93). Given the chassis no. an Alfa Distributor or Official Importer should be able to tell which and supply a copy of the certificate from the factory - wheather or not he have imported any 155s.
By the way, all Q4s built are LHD.
Just returned from Australia (holiday) - plenty of 156s, GTVs, Spyders and and a few 166s but no 155s but some older ones (75s, Spyders Alfetta and GTVs. A chap (with a classic racing GTV Bertone on a trailer) told me that they have had a 10 years gab in imports in the 90'ties.
Good luck finding good 155s.
Alfisti regards
Erik
PS. I've just sold my Danish tax ridden 155 2.0 16v S for GBP 7700.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again

Thanks for the input Erik. Our importers here WON'T give the details. Can somebody please give me the standards. I suspect it is because they just don't know. If any ALFA franchise dealers read this, could they please let me know.

Thanks

Oliver

1 - 7 of 7 Posts