·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Not really informative that tread.
I read an article in Practical Classics a few issues back, but can't find it.
From recolection the most dangerous issue is old fuel hoses dissolves and leaks. Another issue was setiments in the fuel tank detaches the metal and block filters etc. Also there is a risk of the tank and metal tubes gets eaten away and leaks, also copper and nicel can be afected.
I will not start using E10 in my 1970 Spider, I'll stick to Shell V-Power or Premium 98 octane.
I once asked on this forum if anybody know how much Ethermol is in V-Power but never got an answer. In Denmark I know that Premium 98 contains 3% ethernol. I'll ask Shell Denmark about the W-Power.
As for my modern car (Fiat Brovo 120 TJet) it should be OK with E10, but l'll stick to E5 as long as it avaiable.
Erik

·
16,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Erik. I think I'll start using Premium in the 82 Alfetta and stick to " normal " in the 97 TS.

As you say there's not too much info about all this and is a bit of a worry.

I don't know much about this subject and would like to find definitive answers about the possible consequences of this. Could spend a few hours on Google but suspect that I would come out of this exercise just, or even more, confused than I am now.

Maybe they want us all to buy new cars to kickstart the economy and become more " Green, " it's all madness. I'll be sticking to my old cars.

Now where did I leave those 50 forty five Gallon Drums............ !

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I've send a question about V-Power to Shell Denmark. When I've got an answer I'll post it here.
Merry Xmas
Erik
PS! I have to get the sound track of my Spider recorded to be played when we all got to drive electric cars (or trolley) :)

·
16,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've send a question about V-Power to Shell Denmark. When I've got an answer I'll post it here.
Merry Xmas
Erik
PS! I have to get the sound track of my Spider recorded to be played when we all got to drive electric cars (or trolley) :)
:thumbs: Thanks Erik.

I'm really looking forward to the future of motoring, it looks so bright and positive. :(

Never mind, Happy Christmas. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I found this on Shell Denmark web, this is the tranlation

"At Shell, all gasoline at service stations from 21 June 2010 include bioethanol, both Shell Unleaded 92, Shell Unleaded 95 fuel saws and Shell V-Power 99

Shell Unleaded fuel cut 95 was launched in late April in Denmark and has been the only gasoline that helps drivers to save fuel. Using a special lubricant that is added to petrol, fuel cut gives a saving of up to one liter per tank. This means that drivers can drive around. two percent decrease in fuel consumption.

Shell V-Power is a pure performance gasoline. With an octane number of 99, the V-Power motorists higher performance while gasoline prevents and cleans soot deposits. This helps the gasoline to keep the engine clean and efficient."

I can't find anything about Bio Ethernol on Shell's British Web.
Erik

·
16,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More confused than ever now Erilk.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
No, not really, but it doesn't say anything about other issues such as rubber fuel tubes etc.
At the moment my Spider is layed up for the winter, but I will change the 13 years old rubber fuel tubes as part of next season's service.
Erik

·
16,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, not really, but it doesn't say anything about other issues such as rubber fuel tubes etc.
At the moment my Spider is layed up for the winter, but I will change the 13 years old rubber fuel tubes as part of next season's service.
Erik
:( More work Erik.

Really don't know what to think. I may do my impression of an Ostrich and plant my head firmly in the sand and hope it all goes away.

·
Registered
870 Posts
i have noticed old fuel hose that i had on my sud did leak, i could not work out why - tight clips, no damage or distortion, it almost seemed to seep out of the very end of the hose between the layers of rubber !!
changed to new hose and stopped all leaks right away. can only put it to old hose and/or ethanol in the petrol??

on my alfetta im just changing all the rubber hoses, its not an expensive or difficult job really,... anyway they have been on there since 1983 !!!

·
16,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
All rubber fuel hoses persish i 20 years or so, so it's the way to go.
The Ostrichs I've met (in Australia) was very curious and warked with me all along the fence :)
It probably I would feed it.
Erik

·
16,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All rubber fuel hoses persish i 20 years or so, so it's the way to go.
The Ostrichs I've met (in Australia) was very curious and warked with me all along the fence :)
It probably I would feed it.
Erik

:lol:

There's an excellent bit about exploding ostrich's in one of Tom Sharpes books about the apartheid regime in South Africa, almost blew a Head Gasket reading this !

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The sign on the fence said Ostrich - but they could fool me :0
They had black swans, too, that I have never seen before either along with lots of other dangerours animals :)
Erik

1 - 17 of 17 Posts