Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody answer this please..every time I look on this great site some poor sods cambelts snapped..is it just an Alfa thing or what...i havnt had my 147 ts long and I think its cambelts due bcos previous owner hadn't a clue when it was last done....with a house move coming shortly moneys a bit tight so it will have to wait...get a bit worried when I come on here and read about all these snapped belts...is there anything to look for on a belt for any indication of a potential catastrophe..thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think this is in the wrong section :)

Hi

The Twin Spark cam belt issue goes back many years, and thousands of TS engines suffered cambelt failures! The original cam belt change interval for TS engines was 36,000 miles, until some wise person in Alfa Romeo doubled it to 72,000 miles ... the rest is history.

If you go beyond 36,000 miles then it's a lottery .... some people suffer failures at just over 36,000 miles/3 years ..... but some people extend it way beyond that .... not recommended! Your mileage may vary :)

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Only thing to do is a precautionary change of belts and tensioners. No warning is given prior to failure. If you go to other makes forums you'll find a similar situation regarding belts, although some makes seem not to have problems.
Three colleagues of mine with Renaults all had belt failure before the due mileage/life span.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

The Twin Spark cam belt issue goes back many years, and thousands of TS engines suffered cambelt failures! The original cam belt change interval for TS engines was 36,000 miles, until some wise person in Alfa Romeo doubled it to 72,000 miles ... the rest is history.

If you go beyond 36,000 miles then it's a lottery .... some people suffer failures at just over 36,000 miles/3 years ..... but some people extend it way beyond that .... not recommended! Your mileage may vary :)
Thanks..its just hit 96k now so like u say its a lottery now..if it does go t*ts up it wont be repaired and that's a fact...anyway fingers crossed and just hope it gives me a couple of months breathing space

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Please for the cost of it just get it changed.

£250 vs (New Engine) or at least a good number of parts (£4-600)

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
The original cam belt change interval for TS engines was 36,000 miles, until some wise person in Alfa Romeo doubled it to 72,000 miles ... the rest is history.
Original TS engines had chains when they were in-line engines .. belts were always 72K originally .. to help keep costs down to get into the Fleet Market ... Most were changed before 72K were up and so then it was the next poor sole's problem!

It's rarely the belt that goes first .. tensioner, idler, water pump (mainly on diesels), .. mechanical failures .. and with no warning.

Why write off a car for the sake of £250-300? It's a lot more to buy another car or have the engine rebuilt!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the above reply's people...yes point taken..I'll get it booked in...it was just that I only gave £250 for it (just as a weekend plaything and something to fettle with in garage),spent a little getting it motd,but just priorities on the money front have been holding me back getting it done....the thing is its been that much fun to drive and reliable I think it does deserve having the job done..was only going to use it has a weekend toy but I'm never out of it now!(wifey has main car now)...by the way how much to have the job done(£250 ish was mentioned) and I near bury in Lancashire...any recommended garages.....thankyou

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Thanks for the above reply's people...yes point taken..I'll get it booked in...it was just that I only gave £250 for it (just as a weekend plaything and something to fettle with in garage),spent a little getting it motd,but just priorities on the money front have been holding me back getting it done....the thing is its been that much fun to drive and reliable I think it does deserve having the job done..was only going to use it has a weekend toy but I'm never out of it now!(wifey has main car now)...by the way how much to have the job done(£250 ish was mentioned) and I near bury in Lancashire...any recommended garages.....thankyou
as it's your second car maybe have a crack at it yourself? I have done a few and they are not too difficult ...you may have to invest in some tools (cam locks for timing)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timing-Se...391537?hash=item4193abe9f1:g:dNQAAOSwBvNTrRV8

and a cam belt kit and water pump..

:thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
just had mine done in london for £260 because i hadnt a clue when it was changed last. had the car only since august it had 81 000 millage so for peace of mind had to get it done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Think its beyond my capabilities and patience to be honest...changing a thermo or an alternator I'll have a bash but cambelts are another kettle of fish
Have you seen where your alternator is? I'd rather change the cambelt to be honest!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Have you seen where your alternator is? I'd rather change the cambelt to be honest!

it is in a pig of a place!

its funny how the engine layout can make different jobs completely different propositions cars...

fiat coupe the alternator is a 30 min job nicely accessible from the top , cambelt is a pig because you have to undo the engine mounts and jack it up from underneath to get to it, Couldn't agree more with pud, I would much rather do a cambelt than an alternator on the TS and JTD Alfa's..!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi

On my 156 2.0 TS the cambelt was 5 years old, but it had only done 12,000 miles. I decided to change it. When the garage showed me the old one, it was fine, completely unmarked. It is a lottery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts