Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I saw that you are all ardent alfa fans like I am, so I thought i'd find some help here.

I bought an alfa brera brand new from my maltese Dealer and 2 years later, 2 months after the the guarantee expired the engine seized up.

This is how this ridiculous story goes.

I always serviced my brera 2.2 at the dealer in question. One and a half months and 3900 miles after my latest service, I was driving by and the car started making all sorts of noises so i stopped. The next morning I took it to the dealer in question and 2 hours later he told me that the engine seized up because it ran out of oil. He asked me whether the oil light flashed at any point and i replied with a nice big NO. So i asked where the oil went, ( suspecting that they failed to fill it up in the latest service) and they told me that it must be my fault because i took the car 300 miles late to the first service and it developed a fracture in the engine which led to the oil loss. he admitted that the car was not spilling oil and said that it burnt it up. Now Im faced with a bill of £6800 and i cannot possibly believe what this guy is claiming. Am I right in thinking that the car had some kind of a defect? or that that failed to give it oil in the first place?

I need some serious advice here guys thanks :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, And i forgot to mention that I never took the car late for servicing (always around the 11000 mark) and the dealer here in malta suggested that servicing should be done every 12000 miles.

thanks

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
did you ever check the level between the services, alfa state 1litre for every 1k miles as normal, more if you dive it hard, and to check it at least every 2 weeks and top up as required.

sorry about the engine matey:(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the engine was never really driven hard we don't have space to drive cars fast here in malta. Yes the oil was checked regularly maybe not as frequently as you suggest. But is it normal for breras to burn 1 liter oil every 1k? thats sounds like a lot

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
handbook says 0.4 litres (400 grams) to every 600miles (1000km);) is normal, but may be slightly over aon newer engines that are not run in:thumbs:

or dependant on driving style and conditions of use, and your doing high miles too. so in 3000 miles your has the potential to use about 2.5 litres of oil. you really needed to check it more often, especially with the miles you were doing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the dealer maintained that he chucked in 4.5 liters of oil so that doesn't answer how it lost all of it. I really believe that there is some kind of foul play going on, a month before the servicing I also had to change the whole rack and pinion of the car because he told me it needed replacement!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
We own 2 x 2.2 JTS engines and they have NEVER used a drop of oil, regardless of what the manual says (one of them is 2.5 years old). THey are not like the old TS engines that did use some oil over time.

There is definitely something very wrong here, sounds like there was a fault or someone forgot to refill the oil after draining it, or left the oil cap off for a few thousand miles.

Never heard of a fault like this on the 2.2 JTS which suggests someone did something wrong...

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
We own 2 x 2.2 JTS engines and they have NEVER used a drop of oil, regardless of what the manual says (one of them is 2.5 years old). THey are not like the old TS engines that did use some oil over time.

There is definitely something very wrong here, sounds like there was a fault or someone forgot to refill the oil after draining it, or left the oil cap off for a few thousand miles.

Never heard of a fault like this on the 2.2 JTS which suggests someone did something wrong...
or a better one, like fiat did to my stilo, left the flushing oil in after a service and forgot to put the new oil in (crossed wires between engineers):rant:

i was just pointing out what it says in the manual tis all. as far as alfa would be concerned, it wouldnt be over excessive oil use, also allows them wriggle room, but yeah not a common fault, so jump up and down on the dealer:thumbs:

G

·
I'd strongly suspect it was incorrectly or not refilled, unless the oil filter was loose. The extra miles you covered beyond the service interval are mechanically irrellevent..provided there was oil in the engine of course.

I do have to ask though. If oil gets low in an engine it gets a lot noiser. Did you not notice the noise. On my V6 if the dipstick got to anywhere below half you could tell, and topping it up made it a whole lot quieter again....I have luckily never ever run a car out of oil so far.

AlfaLincs

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I'd say 90/10 in your favour that its their fault. Only thing they can pull you on is not checking your oil. So 10% your fault as you'd have probably noticed the problem if you had. Still, sorry to hear about the situation. Hope you get it sorted without such a big hole in your wallet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I really do agree with you, i never really noticed anything wrong with any noises the car might have emitted.

It is true that I did not take the initiative to check the oil, but for God's sake I could never foresee that the oil would run out after that much of a short time.

What makes me very suspicious if that just a month before the said service, I took it in because it had a very very slight noise when the steering was turned either way. No-one could hear this noise apart from me. They told me that its probably just a ball joint. Sure enough they called back and said, (wait for it ) 'THE STEERING RACK HAD FAIL AND NEEDED REPLACEMENT' after just 2 years. Another £1300 for A RECONDITIONED RACK, not new. I thought that they want to take advantage of me and filed a suite. sure enough they buckled and gave it to me for free.

This is just to show you what kind of company im dealing with

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to make it clear, this is NOT a UK dealer, i wouldnt want to suggest that im defaming or refering to any Uk dealers. thanks

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hello everyone, I saw that you are all ardent alfa fans like I am, so I thought i'd find some help here.

I bought an alfa brera brand new from my maltese Dealer and 2 years later, 2 months after the the guarantee expired the engine seized up.

This is how this ridiculous story goes.

I always serviced my brera 2.2 at the dealer in question. One and a half months and 3900 miles after my latest service, I was driving by and the car started making all sorts of noises so i stopped. The next morning I took it to the dealer in question and 2 hours later he told me that the engine seized up because it ran out of oil. He asked me whether the oil light flashed at any point and i replied with a nice big NO. So i asked where the oil went, ( suspecting that they failed to fill it up in the latest service) and they told me that it must be my fault because i took the car 300 miles late to the first service and it developed a fracture in the engine which led to the oil loss. he admitted that the car was not spilling oil and said that it burnt it up. Now Im faced with a bill of £6800 and i cannot possibly believe what this guy is claiming. Am I right in thinking that the car had some kind of a defect? or that that failed to give it oil in the first place?

I need some serious advice here guys thanks :confused:
It sounds like a part failure to me like the oil pump, you had no warning of low oil level or black smoke from oily combustion.
If they reckon it burned up all that oil through a fracture, then its fair to assume this could be proved through a combustion leak tester, this checks for combustion in the water system.
Are all the sparks plugs the same colour? If it was burning oil on one cylinder you will see an oily, or at least darker plug.
Would be worth having an independant report done.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Expensive bill £6800!:eek:

I recall seeing a seized engine at Mangos last year out of a 159 or Brera.
The oil pump had failed and munched the engine. :(
Get it recovered to an independant for a report as JB suggests, otherwise the dealer won't budge on his opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds like a part failure to me like the oil pump, you had no warning of low oil level or black smoke from oily combustion.
If they reckon it burned up all that oil through a fracture, then its fair to assume this could be proved through a combustion leak tester, this checks for combustion in the water system.
Are all the sparks plugs the same colour? If it was burning oil on one cylinder you will see an oily, or at least darker plug.
Would be worth having an independant report done.
No the car was working fine as far as im concerned. The expert I took with me to for a second opinion told me yes the engine suffered a scratch in one of the cylinders bores but he could not believe that this happened without some kind of omission from their part.

Do you guys think that the a 2 year old jts engine can sustain so much oil consumption without anything being wrong with it? or without any omission on part of the dealer?

·
Registered
508 Posts
No the engine was never really driven hard we don't have space to drive cars fast here in malta. Yes the oil was checked regularly maybe not as frequently as you suggest. But is it normal for breras to burn 1 liter oil every 1k? thats sounds like a lot
I would make a call the Alfa themselves in Malta and put your case forward. The only thing I would say from reading your posts is that you state that you check the oil resonably regularly yet you also say that you suspected they might not have filled it up when they serviced it. Surely you would have noticed if they hadn't.
But try Alfa Customer Services

David

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would make a call the Alfa themselves in Malta and put your case forward. The only thing I would say from reading your posts is that you state that you check the oil resonably regularly yet you also say that you suspected they might not have filled it up when they serviced it. Surely you would have noticed if they hadn't.

David
What I meant was that I did check the oil before that service regularly but i did not check the oil after the said service because its unreasonable to think that the car would burn up (whatever happened) so much oil in such a short time. its unfathomable that a 2 year old car that had just been serviced looses that much oil.

The problem i have is that i cant find any contact numbers with alfa romeo international customer service. If you have any kindly forward them to me so I can escalate this matter further.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

David
I did make the call to alfa and had meetings with them but they still maintain that they put the correct amount of oil and that the damage happened because i took it for servicing late which wasnt the case and therefor developed a scratch in the engine.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If i was a betting man i would suggest they did not refill your car with oil deliberately i know a bit controversial but nevertheless they did loose out to you on the steering rack problem and a suspect garage might not forgive and forget easily .
personally i wouldnt not have gone near them a second time i hope im wrong ,but something is not adding up.:(

1 - 20 of 45 Posts