Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Quite suddenly my Alfa Brera 2007 Spider 2.2 JTS Selespeed auto-downshift stopped working.
I was taking a short trip. Found I could not pull away from the traffic lights and noticed I was in 3rd gear. Manually downshifted to 1st and took off without a problem.
Same thing happened at the next lights.
I invariably drive in "manual" but allow the Selespeed to downshift me. I occasionally downshift manually for a bit of extra power/traction.
I am now driving in manual, shifting up AND down.
Can anyone help me with a tip to resetting this? Or is this a Repair-$$hop job?

Thanks and regards

Chris, in Melbourne Australia

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello
Quite suddenly my Alfa Brera 2007 Spider 2.2 JTS Selespeed auto-downshift stopped working.
I was taking a short trip. Found I could not pull away from the traffic lights and noticed I was in 3rd gear. Manually downshifted to 1st and took off without a problem.
I invariably drive in "manual" but allow the Selespeed to downshift me. I occasionally downshift manually for a bit of extra power/traction.

Thanks and regards

Hello,

Also do you have a view as to whether I can ignore this and simply continue to drive in "manual" until I have the $$$ to get this repaired?

Cheers, Chris
Melbourne, Australia

·
Registered
694 Posts
It could be something as simple as requiring a re-calibration, impossible to tell without it having a diagnostic scan done on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello

Thanks and regards

FIXED!
I remembered that my mechanic 'The Italian Job' once honestly reported that they had fixed a different Selespeed problem my car suffered (frequent inability to be put into any gear) by simply plugging in their computer and clearing error messages. Also remembered that the internet told me a while ago how to fix my window closure issue by holding the buttons down for 10 seconds then up for 10 seconds..
So I tried a few things while parked on the side of the road:
- tried to select automatic mode (push stick to the right) - would not engage
- while in neutral, turning engine off then on while in gear (solicits protests)
- drove a bit further down the road to see if downshifting worked - NO
- parked and tried to select automatic mode again. After holding stick to right again for a prolonged time (10 or 15 seconds) - Auto became selected!!
- drove along for about 10 minutes in Auto mode, up and down-shifting working normally, then pulled over and pushed stick again to unselect Auto
- drive off again in manual mode and discovered that automatic downshift was working again!
I'm sure this is only a temporary fix and that I have a defective Selespeed system. One day I might win Lotto and can get the system properly repaired.
Until then I'm going to be motoring along with fingers crossed.
Thank you to members who responded to my anguished call for help.
Regards
Chris - Melbourne, Australia

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be something as simple as requiring a re-calibration, impossible to tell without it having a diagnostic scan done on it.
Thank you for your comment.
This twigged a memory that lead me to a fix! (See 2nd post)
Thanks
Chris - Melbourne, Australia
PS Do you guys have an associate in Melbourne?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts