Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two very similar cars in many ways (price, power, "looks"...). Does anyone has experience on both?
What is your opinion?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Hello,

I don't know how it is in Cyprus but in the UK The Audi is much more expensive. it starts £4,000 more expensive, but they hide a lot of extra costs in the options list. In order to get simple things like nice alloys, Bluetooth and ipod connections, it costs about £4,500 extra - they make you buy satnav at £2000 before you can have bluetooth and ipod!

They are very different cars, the A5 is a saloon and th Brera is a Coupe GT.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Cyprus the starting price is the same.
I am not sure about the options in Audi, I think they also put a lot of extra costs in the options list here.
Many things that comes as standard in the Brera comes as an option in the audi.
They are different cars but for the people who don't know about the audi it looks very similar.
Also I think the space for the passengers is also about the same.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Very different cars.

I would say the A5 is the "better" car whereas the Brera is the one that'll be more desirable:cool:

The A5 is more of a modern Alfa GT (seats 4, good luggage space) but the Brera is a difficult car to pigeon hole (not really a sports car, more of a two seater GT).

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I don't really need to answer this on an Alfa Forum surely.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Test drive both, see which you prefer.

I did a similar thread a few months ago, Merc CLC or Alfa GT. For sure most will slate you, but you will get some informative posts. :)

I went for the Alfa. :D

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Surely we are talking A3 not A5 :confused:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Test drive both, see which you prefer.

I did a similar thread a few months ago, Merc CLC or Alfa GT. For sure most will slate you, but you will get some informative posts. :)

I went for the Alfa. :D
The answer for me is the alfa, no dough!!!
But both of the cars are for the same kind of buyers. If someone looks for a sport coupe, I think he will consider both the Brera and the A5 among others.
There is no choice for me to be made, I just want to know the opinion of other alfa owners.

Sure the Brera is a different car. The Brera (like any alfa) speaks to the heart!!!!
The audi is not! (dont mind about the specs)

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've seen a number of A5's on the road and with its Christmas Tree driving lights and coke bottle shape it reminds me of a tarted up series 2 Cortina. The Brera is a much more arresting shape and whilst it might not be as Germanically efficient as the A5 has far more character, brio and style. Afraid the A5 leaves me cold!

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
The answer for me is the alfa, no dough!!!
But both of the cars are for the same kind of buyers. If someone looks for a sport coupe, I think he will consider both the Brera and the A5 among others.
There is no choice for me to be made, I just want to know the opinion of other alfa owners.

Sure the Brera is a different car. The Brera (like any alfa) speaks to the heart!!!!
The audi is not! (dont mind about the specs)
I see.

I thought you were trying to make a choice. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Strange forum to post the question on. You won't get a very unbiased response on here.

What are your priorities? - resale value, economy, performance, image etc etc - there's a lot to consider when choosing between 2 very different vehicles.

·
Vendor
46,136 Posts
I don't like the "look at me in my flash car" lights on the A5, but other than that I'm sure its a great car. Brera is a real beauty, nicest looking thing on the road short of something from Ferrari or Maserati, but I'm sure it has more 'flaws' than the Audi.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
To be fair, as audi's go, i think looks wise the A5 is a big step up form the bland stuff they generally churn out. I know the Brera is heavier than it looks, but is the A5 lighter than it looks as it appears pretty heavy.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, I think the Audi A5 is a fabulous looking thing (needs the right wheels though - the big 5 spokers). Please don't shoot me. But it's so damned expensive in the UK, so I'm happy with my cheap used Alfa GT, which I think is even more fabulous looking.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you asked A5 or GT/GTA I would have said def go for a real Alfa with a real engine. I personally was very dissapointed with the new engine range, both 2.2 and 3.2. Openning the bonnet is not longer fun and reminds me of an Opel.

So find yourself a GT or a GTA. Otherwise, I would say A5. Will I get damned now on AO?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Well, when my wife was looking at a replacement for her Mini Cooper, we looked at the following cars:

A3 - too common, poor value for money
A5 - too expensive
159 SW - good, but big for her to drive
BMW 3 - common as muck, slight build quality issues
Golf Gti - good, but not special enough
Spider - fantastic but slightly impractical

When the Spider LE special offer came out in the UK, there was no question about it. We got the Spider. In fact I am driving it today because she took the train to work.

Anyway we did consider the A5 but it just didn't make any sense due to the huge price difference here.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.