Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Alfa Giulietta has paint code 296/A bianco pastello. I ordered some paint off eBay to repair some paint chips. 296/A always came up as either giacchio or divino, and never pastello. Can anybody confirm whether these paint shades are the same, as they use the same code? I received 2 from auto paint direct. Both are different. One is light and what I would class as giacchio, and the other is darker, creamier looking..neither, fit the bill. I'm thinking of mixing the two to make it closer.

·
Registered
40,586 Posts
Ice White is the same as a Fiat colour ,no doubt . We had a rental Grande Punto in a finish like the Nero Etna but it would have a Fiat colour and the same code!

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
My car is Giacchio White 296/A however it is a pastel colour, in some lights almost matt. My sister-in-law has a white Mito and that looks like old English white for want of a better phrase, but next to the Giulietta it really does look cream!

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
yes, but I couldn't spell that!

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
No need to be prickly about it!

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Is there anything else I need to be privi-to????

G

·
Amazes me that Alfa charge £500+ extra for pastel white. When I ordered it I presumed it was a fancy metallic. I feel robbed. Years ago non-metallic White used to be free :lol:

Should have got value for money and purchased the Luna pearl.

·
Registered
40,586 Posts
30 % of Giuliettas are white at £500 extra. All colours are extra except black which is only a "price point" colour. Some , with pigment cost more to do, such as red. Doing white as launch colour was quite clever !
Having said that , option prices for colour differ in Europe . Lower.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Interestingly on the continent having a white car is a statement of wealth. I know that Aston Martin produce more white export cars than any other colour.

G

·
So in terms of paint quality, the white is no better than the base black? I can understand charging extra for metallic and pearl as I suspect that these will cost a little more to produce.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The touch-up kits I've seen online for Ghiacchio are two-parters. There's the base white paint, and a clear lacquer to go on top.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
If you got a clear coat with the touchup kit, then it's not a "flat" colour. For flat colours, you get one bottle of paint, and no clear topcoat.

The reason it's more expensive is that from a manufacturing point of view, there's no difference between Ghiaccio and the metallic colours: both will need two separate paint runs: one for colour, and one for the clear topcoat.

G

·
I'd have thought that metallic was a little more expensive to produce though?

So the flat black doesn't have a clearcoat - It's literally bare black paint? I thought all colours bar matt colours had a clear coat.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
No. "flat" colours don't usually have a topcoat. This is why they don't appear to "chip" as much as a metallic, or a varnished colour like Ghiaccio - any chip will take one layer of black off, revealing a layer of black below.

The fancy matte finish paints are sometimes achieved using a matt-finish clearcoat.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts