Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is bloody freezing. Three Alfas and all with faulty thermostats. I replaced it on the GT I had and the 916. They do show 90°c but weren't/aren't that warm, well the GT wasn't I never use the Spider in the winter.

I long for a warm car.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Every Alfa I have ever owned, with the exception of the Giulietta, has had the thermostat replaced as the very first thing I do to the car. That's 4 and counting now.

You get used to it :)

Reactions: symon and MalcQV

·
Registered
38,259 Posts
I have had 15 Alfa's now, as well as 5 Fiats.

I would say that about 10 of the Alfas and All of the Fiats had a knackered thermostat at some stage in my ownership.

The one in my G is currently ok...

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
It really isn't funny at £30-40 a time.

Reactions: MalcQV

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's also a bit cold on these mornings. This (like the GT even after the thermostat replacement) and the 916 takes until I enter the work gates 18 miles later before there is much warm blowing through.
I do think the pollen filter on this 159 wants changing, just waiting for some half decent weather and time.

My brother warned me about crap heaters in Alfas, they are :(

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
My 156 never had a crap heater, even when the stat was on the fritz.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Heater in the GTV takes about 200 metres before it starts chucking out hot air, Giulietta a bit more, the 33 was fine after I fitted a new matrix (£5). 146 good heater and the 147 fine after a new thermostat.

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,151 Posts
Spider is warm and cozy after about 5 minutes of easy unstressful driving.
Had to change the thermostat on the GT though, but not the 156 or the MiTo.

·
Registered
38,259 Posts
Alfa heaters are ok, as long as the thermostat is working.

I think Fords have the best heaters though.

·
Registered
15,217 Posts

The heating, ventilation and demisting in our '99 Mondeo was spectacular. The A/C cleared inside in seconds, the heated screens shifted the ice, and the heated mirrors chucked out enough heat to melt the ice on the door windows.

·
Registered
767 Posts
197€ for an original part from my Alfa garage back when I had a GTV 2.0. And this was only for the f****** thermostat ...

I then bought also an original part from a second Alfa garage for 98€. So there ... :censored:

Got a Vernet Caloristat for my 1.6 147 for 20€ and works just fine.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Standard ancient AC wax capsule type thermostat in her foreign jalopy, which is now nine years old, quick to warm up and maintain a nice cosy cabin temperature, and this coupled with a most effective AC system which the Sillyspeed most certainly never had. ;)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heaters on all the cars I ever owned except the Alfas have been fabtastic.

The temperature gauge in the GT got to 90°C but it was still sheite.
Replaced (well not fitted by me, the garage, but it looks new) on the 916 and it still reads low and is not so warm. I can't be arsed changing it again.

159 was warm the day I bought it but the A/C did not blow cold (it still might not, it's been too bloody cold to check) but after it was re-gassed it now blows cold for yonks.
It's always showed about 60°C on the gauge. I have a wi-fi ODB connector and need to try that and the phone/app.

I love the Alfas that I've had/have but the heaters have been/are ****. :lol:

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Heaters on all the cars I ever owned except the Alfas have been fabtastic.

The temperature gauge in the GT got to 90°C but it was still sheite.
Replaced (well not fitted by me, the garage, but it looks new) on the 916 and it still reads low and is not so warm. I can't be arsed changing it again.

159 was warm the day I bought it but the A/C did not blow cold (it still might not, it's been too bloody cold to check) but after it was re-gassed it now blows cold for yonks.
It's always showed about 60°C on the gauge. I have a wi-fi ODB connector and need to try that and the phone/app.

I love the Alfas that I've had/have but the heaters have been/are ****. :lol:
Strange. The heater in my GT isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
38,259 Posts
The Giulietta heater is pretty good.

The aircon is ok, but I have had better.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Plus their heated front windscreen-genius invention that!

+1 on Alfa thermostat.. Replaced on my old 156 and now due on the GTV, but mine does heat very hot before the stat went.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Happy with the Giulietta, the 147 worked ok, must have been lucky. The Giulietta surprised me with how I can de ice the front windscreen with the air con recently. I'm guessing it uses its air con as a heat pump as it can turn out warm air with in about a minute sitting on the drive, ice just melts off the screen! Happy with mine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts