Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the rear brake callipers on an Alfa 75 TS without the need to remove all the driveshafts etc.

The reason being, we want to take off the callipers, clean, rebuild etc and free up the ramp in the workshop while this goes on (my father-in-law is a mechanic, hence asking). If everything has to come off, then it will make it impossible to roll out while he rebuilds the callipers.

I don't envisage this being a straightforward job but, hopefully, I could be pleasantly surprised!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
371 Posts
You'll need to undo the driveshaft at the inner end because the same bolts hold the disc on which covers the two holding the caliper in place. So...

1. Undo the six bolts holding the driveshaft on.
2. Operate the adjusters to jack the pistons back into the caliper.
3. Wiggle the brake disc out -depending on how much meat is on the pads you may (or may not) need to remove the pads to get this out.
4. Undo the brake pipe into the caliper.
5. Undo the handbrake cable from the right hand caliper and pull the cable through.
6. Undo the caliper mounting bolts and remove the caliper.
7. Refit the disc and pop the driveshaft bolts back in so you can now roll the car around again.

I changed both rear calipers discs and pads in less than two hours so it's not a huge job.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll need to undo the driveshaft at the inner end because the same bolts hold the disc on which covers the two holding the caliper in place. So...

1. Undo the six bolts holding the driveshaft on.
2. Operate the adjusters to jack the pistons back into the caliper.
3. Wiggle the brake disc out -depending on how much meat is on the pads you may (or may not) need to remove the pads to get this out.
4. Undo the brake pipe into the caliper.
5. Undo the handbrake cable from the right hand caliper and pull the cable through.
6. Undo the caliper mounting bolts and remove the caliper.
7. Refit the disc and pop the driveshaft bolts back in so you can now roll the car around again.

I changed both rear calipers discs and pads in less than two hours so it's not a huge job.
Great, thanks for the reply. Just hope everything isn't rusted up too much under there!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Top tip, when you're undoing the driveshaft bolts, use an allen key in a socket, a very long extension and go in from the wheel arch. That way you're not twisting the allen key in the bolt and you're less likely to bu99er up the head.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Top tip, when you're undoing the driveshaft bolts, use an allen key in a socket, a very long extension and go in from the wheel arch. That way you're not twisting the allen key in the bolt and you're less likely to bu99er up the head.
Good advice. I've got some second-hand callipers as a spare set to rebuild so that should be a great help.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally, the spare set of rear callipers have been stripped, cleaned and rebuilt with new seals!

Going in on early March for a complete refit with new discs and pads all round along with new hoses.

Hopefully the brakes will then actually work properly and not feel like treading on a sponge!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did this go? Did you fit yourself and how much fun was bleeding the brakes?
Not as bad as we feared. Pedal is still quite spongy. Brakes are fully bled all round. Still got to get a new handbrake cable and fit that as it's not behaving correctly. Was hoping for a better feel on the pedal but hopefully everything will bed in.

The discs, calipers and pads were shot so all needed replacing along with the hose. It all looks nice now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts