Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 75 a couple of months ago. I have a problem with the car speedo and odometer. It is not running at all. I have taken it to some mechanic and they told me it is something to do with a failing speed sensor (or some sensor). Does this make sense? Have you guys encounter similiar problem? What if I plan to find a new sensor, what are my chances are like? Where do I get them from?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hugh

Been a while since I did mine, but here goes.
Check the wire plug/socket under the back seat, make sure they have a good connection / not corroded. You'll need to know where this is when you change yours anyway.

As I recall, the 75 speedo sensors all fail with age.
Got mine from Turin Imports they are very good & knowledgeable, email them if you dont have anywhere closer than Aus.

Which 75 do you have?

DaveB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey XAR75X,

Thanks for the tip. Maybe one idea is to have it look at when I'm redoing all the wiring in the car (as I'm planning to have the battery relocated to the boot). TurinImport looks good, definitely an option. BTW, how much does it costs you?

It is the TS unit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hugh

Not sure how much the speedo unit costs, best ask Turin Imports for a price.

IMHO the wiring is best left alone. If an alfas wiring has been played with, you can be sure that stuff wont work properly. Unless its a very expensive job done by a professional who knows alfas.

As the old saying goes: If it aint broke dont fix it. Just asking for trouble. I wouldnt buy a 75 with non original wiring, and I'm an Electrical Engineer.

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm.
DaveB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Dave,

You have a point there. What if it turns out much more broken than it is now. That would be bad.

Do you know if anyone manages to relocate their 75 battery to the boot? I seen this done, on other cars. But not 75.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Dave,
Do you know if anyone manages to relocate their 75 battery to the boot? I seen this done, on other cars. But not 75.
Yep, take a look on AlfaBB to see. In particualar look for a thread on 'Roxanne' (starts on pages 2 & 3). I've not heard of anyone doing it on a twinnie (though that don't mean it hasn't been done). As I understand it, it is a _good_ thing to do on a three litre as they are slightly nose-heavy. The twinnie is nearly perfectly balanced already so perhaps that's why it's not as common for it.

Ed.
AlfaSmiths

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hugh

Ed is right, the balance on a 75 TS is pretty good already. It is a simple thing to extend the battery cables to the rear tho. You'll get better handling by lowering & heavier sway bars, lower profile tyres.

What got me was when you said "redoing all the wiring in the car". Better to just clean all the connections and earths you can see.
Start under the bonnet and work sytematically thru them. Polish with wet & dry, smear a very little vaseline (its conductive) on the connecting faces to stop the corrosion, dont tighten too much, also clean & gently pinch with pliers any loose plug/sockets. When you have your confidence up do the rack of plugs on the inlet air sensor. Careful not to bust anything.

I do this as a precaution, guess in Malaysia you have corrosion problems.

Re "more broken than it is now" What electrics aren't working?

DaveB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Dave,

You are absolutely right, I was thinking of redoing the entire wire system in the car (pulling out wires, replacing old fuse, etc), not just cleaning up. And from what you just mention, I think is not such a good idea after all. Your suggestion is the right way to go. Though I might not be the right person to perform this, as I'm far from being a qualify electrical engineer.

Yes, we get a fair bit of rust here because of the weather.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hugh

Have to sign off untill next week, but keen to know how you go.
Work slow and gentle, but get them all. Theres about 40 connections under the bonnet alone, should provide a good afternoons entertainment. Dont forget to disconnect the battery if you are working with live wires, (they have power with the ignition off, esp the ones in the tip on Craigs website).

What are the probs (apart from the speedo) you are trying to fix anyway? Theres some good info on the WWW on specific probs.

The index at Craigs website is a good start - go to Group 40 Electrical Manual and start by cleaning the earths shown on page 40-79 at G53.
Note there are 2 of these earth connector sets (right and left hand side), and you'll need to make sure the bracket that the plugs connect to is propery earthed too. So remove the bolt holding the bracket and clean the bolt and back of the bracket. Vaseline is the go here. Work slowly, carefully and deliberately.

Then check and clean or replace your fuses.

Let us know how you go.
Regards, DaveB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey dave,

Sold it? Never!!! Not after all the pain I go through with her. :p

About the wiring, I have looked at the wiring under the bonnet, it looks completely non-standard! And a big mess. I'm not too sure where to begin, would probably ask for professional opinion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Donno about that Hugh, if its that bad it might be better to find one that hasn't been messed with. I spent a year looking for the right 3L - it was totally original, 2 owners with books, even bopught ARV63L plates - and then swapped it for a great unmolested TS with suspension mods, its now XAR75X
Why don't you scare us all and post an underbonnet wiring pic or 2 ?

daveb

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Dave,

Sorry for the late reply. Anyway, I have no choice as a 75 is generally very rare here in this part of the world. And after so much effort, money and time, it's going to be hard to find anotheer one, if you know what I mean.

I'll unavailable for the next 3-4 weeks or so, and when I get back I'll take some picture and post it here. Cheerio.

Donno about that Hugh, if its that bad it might be better to find one that hasn't been messed with. I spent a year looking for the right 3L - it was totally original, 2 owners with books, even bopught ARV63L plates - and then swapped it for a great unmolested TS with suspension mods, its now XAR75X
Why don't you scare us all and post an underbonnet wiring pic or 2 ?

daveb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts