Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am an owner of a 1985 Alfa Romeo 33 (Series II I think it is) and my water pump has seized up. I had a mobile mechanic look at it and he estimated that it would cost roughly A$1000 to replace (including parts and labour).

A friend of mine suggested that this was a ridiculous and suggested that I install an electric one myself and save the money. He suggested this one:

Davies Craig Electric Water Pump - ModYourCar.com - Car Accessories | Car Parts | Performance Parts | Aftermarket Parts

I have a few questions:

a) Is this suitable?
b) If so, do I just leave the old one as is and just leave the belt unattached?

Thank you in advance for your input!

·
Registered
178 Posts
G'day mate
yeah na basically
if your up for a bit of a fiddle i would suggest replacing the water pump that is in the engine for a couple of reasons
firstly one of the beauties about it being mechanical is it wont fail if your electrics do fail
the part is self is only about $100 now where the labour will cost you is the removal of the broken one cost more often then not the pump will be wedged in. there is another post somewhere on this topic
but i use a non metallic non seize paste when i put the new one in. ive only just removed one that i had done about 5 years ago and use this paste and it pretty much poped out. i have also done another one that had no paste on it an i had to smash it out. cold cheisl and a hammer goes along way :p
hope this has been abit o help
regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate.

I have been told that the part number is wp982 and that I can order a new one from a supplier in Korea for A$98 does that sound right?

I looked for the guide but it seems as though all the picture links are broken >.<

But from what I can gather, I should:

1. Remove the Radiator
2. Remove the Grill
3. Remove the 4 bolts holding the water pump in place
4. Warm the engine up
5. Remove the old water pump (which may require brutal force)

Does that sound about right?

Cheers again!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep the part # is wp982, you can also get them from Super Cheap Auto/Repco in Aus

I have found it easier to remove the cambelt in front of it, but that will require re-timing it :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you take the bonnet grille and radiator off as well, you will have more access to get to the pump and the job will be much easier. See the other recent thread regarding water pumps on here.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
The alloy used is quite brittle so will break up easily. If the centre part of the pump is detached by using a cold chisel around the centre the outer comes out with some gentle help! As said before, removing grill and rad makes it much easier.

'Greek' has a guide including photographs.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Yes but the host is out of order and the files are on the computer at workplace. Unfortunately i will be back to work on Monday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
33 water pump issue

Hi Bud, I have a series 2 Alfa 33, and the water pump went 7 years after I replaced it when I bought the car. I bought a new pump for £30.00 from a motor factors and fitted it myself in about 4 hours in the dark! The Haynes manual for a Alfa sud takes you through the process pretty accurately, the main hassle is getting the old one out! a cold chisel down the face of the engine block is the only way to break the interference fit...

·
Registered
178 Posts
mate if you where in NSW i would be more then happy to of given you a hand
good luck with it
let us know how you go with it

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
ring 'the spare place' in the city they will have one. forcast update 43 sun and mon
G'day One of the delights of our little forum is the contrasts! It is still below zero here and I (and am sure others) am getting withdrawl symptoms from things Alfa mechanical and electrical........:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts