Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered a 33 Q4, Year1993 / 120k miles. Doesn't cost much, so I am tempted to get it and use it for a wintercar. That 4wd should do nicely come snow and ice!

I know absolutely nothing about the 33's...:confused:

What do you think.. expensive 4wd mechanics..am I potentially heading for a world of pain here? How reliable are these Q4 cars?

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
The P4 (as it was called in dear old Blightly) is supposed to be the best 33 out there. Even though it was heavier than the standard 16v, the improved handling due to the 4wd system more than made up for the weight according to contemporary road tests, as did the extra grip. The boxer engine is very relaible, and unlike the TS shouldn't use much oil (I've never had to top my 33 up inbetween services :) ). The 4wd system can be problematic if not maintained properly, but if it cheap go for it, the 33 is bound to be a future classic :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Gary. The 4wd system is what is holding me back...

I actually think there is a difference between a p4 and the later q4 model.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would advise you to avoid the 33 p4 unless you are a mechanic, my experience of these cars is that they need constant maintenance and some parts a very hard to come by.
Its a bloody nightmare to just change the spark plugs on the 16v boxer engines, I know rear wheel bearings are hard to buy for these now.
If you do decide to get it, check the fuel tank is in good condition as these tend to rust and are hard to find because they are different from other 33' due to the 4WD system.
In short 33 p4's can end up costing a lot :( .
The 33 IE (8v) on the other hand are nearly as fast as the p4, but are a much more solid reliable car, and tend not to have been as thrashed, i've had 2 and never had any serious problems.

:cool:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Peter K said:
Yeah... i think i better stay clear of it. Nice little car though...
I'd reconsider. Ash is right about the fuel tanks being difficult to get, but you can always get the old one repaired. I'm not awhere of there being a problem with a supply of rear wheel bearings, and what other 4x4 alfa is there?! Go on, it must be worth a risk, if not you can always break it and sell the recaro interior and wheels for more than what you'll probably pay for the car :)

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Gary Slegg said:
and what other 4x4 alfa is there?!
155, 164, 156 and obviously now 159 & Brera.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
David C said:
155, 164, 156 and obviously now 159 & Brera.
Yeah, I meant apart from them :)

Actually, never heard of a 156 4x4 before...and the 155 and 164 will have the same problems as the 33, and be more expensive to buy in the first place.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
My Perminator had a new propshaft mount and the new one didn't last long either. Gearbox synchro' is a bit crunchy but the only other bits it ever had (apart from what I bent :eek:) was a rear wheel bearing, a cam belt and a set of plugs. 33 is pretty robust, so you have to have one.

The Ricky Recaro seats are excellent for putting your fave totty through the "Recaro Test". If she can't get her arse between the bolsters or her backk doesn't touch the backrest, trade her in for a skinnier model. The Recaro Test is foolproof, empirical and Final!

The P4 gubbins makes the tank and exhuast slightly different to the 2WD jobs but it grips like a Scotsman's hand on a fiver.. biggest problem in snow and ice is avoiding the plebs slithering around in their Mk2 Golfs/Escrotes etc.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Gary Slegg said:
Actually, never heard of a 156 4x4 before
Never sold in the UK, but towards the end there was a 156 Q4 and a 156 Crosswagon.
Both used the 1.9 16v JTDm engine and had the big 330mm Brembos from the later GTA.
The Crosswagon had a higher ride height and was slightly more ruggedified(!)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
probably a bit late now , but i have had 3 P4`s and they have never been any more trouble than the 8v car, yes the plugs are a bit awkward to change but then again how often do you have to change the plugs?? and even so the grip they make is well worth any downsides cos it means you actually can use the boxer engine instead of just spinning front wheels all the time...

if you get a good one well worth it.
thats my tuppence worth... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts