Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everybody,

i have been offered a 33 1.7 16v engine but it has a knocking can anybody share any light on the matter? are the kits avalible to strip it down and fix the problem.
Sorry just need some advice cheers.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
The 16V is generally a good engine but a "Knock" could have several causes - you would really need to strip it down to tell for sure.
However plugs out and trying to move pistons as they go down when turning the engine over by hand could eliminate severe big end/small end wear. Removal of the cam covers and examination of the cam lobes for uneven wear patterns is another check.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you alfasixnut much appreciated.
are the gasket kit easy avalible and at a decent price and what about parts
thanks again .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1.7 8v or 1.7 16v

Will the heads go onto my 1.7 8v anybody? i have now got 1.5ti, 1.7 8v and now bought 1.7 16v any thyoughts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Will the heads go onto my 1.7 8v anybody? i have now got 1.5ti, 1.7 8v and now bought 1.7 16v any thyoughts
Hi Countach
I've got those same three engines! but I've not taken them apart so cannot answer your questions...... but I'm sure somebody else will know.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Is it worth the effort to swap 17. 8v for 16v or is there not much init?
anybody please.:)
I believe there are different versions of both of those engines with different power outputs so without knowing the exact spec of your engines it is a difficult question to answer.
Another factor is the increased size of the 16V engine around the heads and longer front pulley arrangement - access to spark plugs can also be a problem in some installations.
But I suspect a good 8V can out perform a poor 16V - but a good 16V will out perform a good 8V.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Agreed. I'm very fond of my 16v with carbs. Access to the plugs is a pain though. The full headset for the 16 v is pricey too. I paid €140 for mine a couple of years back.

K

·
0 Posts
i spent well over £400 just on gaskets, water pump, timing belt kit etc. that was without the head skimming, pressure/leak testing, block decking, crank polishing......

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Ouch. At least that should keep you right for a while though. Mine will be due an overhaul next year. Not looking forward to funding it...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Quick question - Is the engine for the Countach Kit?
Lauren (Spacenut)(Boxer engined Nova) may well have some useful info if so.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes its for the countach,and the last few replies have made my mind up,it would seem that the big end or something big has gone it turns over but i realy dont want to spend a fortune on a bad one when my 1.7 8v is a realy strong engine and should make for interesting driving as it has minimal weight and a beetle gearbox.
Thank you all so much for the heads up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts