Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All

Im rebuilding a year 1999 ALfa 3.0 V6. I have come to the point of re-installing the oil pump and its timing chain. The rough guide i have tells you to tighten the nut that holds the upper of the 2 chain gear to the oil pump. However when you try to do this the chain just rotates around the crank spigot. There is no obvious way the lower gear wheel engages with the crank. So im worried that the oil pump will drive at all. i understand the upper gear goes on a flared fitment but im struggling to see how the lower gear engages. Does it simply rely on the timing gear pulley butting it up against the crank ?

Any words of wisdom !? , thanks for your trouble !

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have to say in 30 plus years in engineering this is the first time I have seen an oil pump drive that does not have some form of positive location to the drive. I spent a couple of hours searching last night to see if I had dislodged something whilst changing the front oil seal. There again the number of people who encounter front pulley nuts that are mega tight may be for this very reason?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
It's likely a bit of an odd setup because on the earlier Busso engines the oil pump was driven by the cam belt. This worked fine on the 12v but wasn't great on the first 24v and was changed to the chain drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts