Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Robin From Sweden here. Since last week I have had problems with my 2004 2.0 JTS 156 SW. The problems started to appear during cold weather with temperatures down to -30°C.

The car didn´t start when it was left outside over night in about -20°C. I always use eletric engine heater during winter before I use the car, so even when it´s super cold outside the engine feels lukewarm to touch. The engine cranks fine, nice and strong, but there is no sign of life, not even the slightest sign of ignition.

Circumstances:
-The battery is new and fully charged.
-Fuel is pumped from the low pressure pump in the tank to the engine, I removed the incoming hose under the hood and 2dl of fuel was pumped when cranking the motor a few times. ( I first suspected a ice plug in the fuel system in this area )
-No fault codes is showing and no pending fault codes is stored as pending in the ECU.

- I was able to start the car after a night in a warm garage. The engine was a bit rough on the idling at first and didnt fire 100% at all cylinders. A little bit later the engine started to act normal so I started to drive home. When I was driving the engine lamp started to flash now and then, with fault code P0304 - Cylinder #4 Misfire
showing. I could however not feel these missfires, the engine was running smooth and strong.

The car was then again parked outside in the cold and it didn´t start this morning. Same behaviour, preheated engine, strong and fine cranking and fuel flowing to the engine apartement, but no sign of ignition.

I was hoping that someone got some ideas what could cause this? And what I could do next to determine the problem?

Regards Robin.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Going back to basics. Compression, fuel, and ignition. The characteristic starter rhythm confirms compression. Can you smell fuel in the tail pipe after prolonged cranking? If you have those two suspect the ignition; the misfire code points that way too. Try warming just the ignition module, preferably with it removed, or with a fan heater. Then see if it will start. (The plastic of the module may be brittle at -30 so if your engine heater doesn't warm that part of the engine much, it might be best to remove it while the engine is warm, take it inside overnight, and refit in the morning.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts