Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi could anyone tell me what the difference is with a 16v engine from a 146 as opposed to a 33 16v boxer engine as i have just got hold of one from a 146 and was going to put it into my 33 veloce car but will be junking injection system and putting carbs onto it .

·
Registered
870 Posts
33 16v has electronic ignition with a dizzy, the 146 i think uses wasted spark and does not have a dizzy at all ? not 100% but i think thats the case?
plenum chamber is also different shape, squarer on the 146 engine , rounded on the 33 - not sure if that makes a power difference, not that it matters if your putting it on carbs mate

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I'm running a 146 engine on carbs. I swapped the oil pump from an old 8v so I could use the original coil and dizzy. It's totally standard and has been chucking out 140bhp consistently for the last 3 years

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
car

33 16v has electronic ignition with a dizzy, the 146 i think uses wasted spark and does not have a dizzy at all ? not 100% but i think thats the case?
plenum chamber is also different shape, squarer on the 146 engine , rounded on the 33 - not sure if that makes a power difference, not that it matters if your putting it on carbs mate
:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
car

do i have to change the backplate on the engine that the distributor sits in as im sure it is not there on the later type engines or is it just a blanking plate.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
It's just a blanking plate in it. The only reason to change the back plate would be to run a mech fuel pump but I bought a facet electric one instead.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Did you get the carb manifolds recently? I'm on the lookout for another pair as I've another 16v in the garage that might find its way into the sud at some point

·
Registered
870 Posts
i would second the electric fuel pump as well mate, just make sure you have some way of killing the fuel pump if you stall the engine or god forbid crash the car and kill the engine. you dont want petrol spraying out all over the place when a pipe has been split or torn for any reason. an oil pressure switch controlling the fuel pump relay is a good way to do it, and you can buy these set ups with the pump. i did mine via the megajolt

I also put a manual over ride on my pump so i can prime the system before i start the engine. that way if its been sitting for weeks between drives.. which it will do.. i can get the thing started a lot easier!
also i can buzz fuel round for hot starts to try to help the vapour lock issue you sometimes get on boxers, and if the megajolt ever packs up i can run the pump and get home

the other reason i did it is that i cant help myself but modify things and learn/develop how things work lol

hope that helps mate

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
also i can buzz fuel round for hot starts to try to help the vapour lock issue you sometimes get on boxers,
What is this vapour lock issue?

I occasionally have issues starting it immediately after shut down when the engine is hot. Never was sure why this happens.
Mine is running on a mech pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts