Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I need a new 6 speed gearbox for my 2005 2.0 166ti.
The main input shaft has worn on current one.

Also wiling to sell as she is for £750. Also needs a clutch.Low miles of 88000.Runs as sweet as a nut. I'd keep her but got 3 other Alfas here. Very rare car, think only 2 are taxed in UK at the moment.
Based in Lancashire.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi all

I need a new 6 speed gearbox for my 2005 2.0 166ti.
The main input shaft has worn on current one.

Also wiling to sell as she is for £750. Also needs a clutch.Low miles of 88000.Runs as sweet as a nut. I'd keep her but got 3 other Alfas here. Very rare car, think only 2 are taxed in UK at the moment.
Based in Lancashire.
I have a similar car. About 2 years ago I had my gearbox reconditioned by Helical Gearboxes in London. Including a new clutch this came to around £1300. You may not want to spend this but it may help a prospective purchaser.

Richard

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
156 box will fit fine. You would need to check the ratios, but I’d guess a 2.0 156 box is about right.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Is it driveable as it is?

·
Vendor
46,056 Posts
156 box will fit fine. You would need to check the ratios, but I’d guess a 2.0 156 box is about right.
166 2.0 TS uses a C630 box, similar to the JTD & V6s in other models. Not the old Fiat 5speed that the 156s & GTV Twinsparks used. It would need to be a 166 Twinspark gearbox to fit and work properly without going through a conversion process involving shafts, engine mounts, clutch/flywheel etc.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
166 2.0 TS uses a C630 box, similar to the JTD & V6s in other models. Not the old Fiat 5speed that the 156s & GTV Twinsparks used. It would need to be a 166 Twinspark gearbox to fit and work properly without going through a conversion process involving shafts, engine mounts, clutch/flywheel etc.
Wouldn't a V6 box just go in? Conversion surely would be OK as you've got all the bits from the existing box/shafts/mounts?

·
Vendor
46,056 Posts
Wouldn't a V6 box just go in? Conversion surely would be OK as you've got all the bits from the existing box/shafts/mounts?
V6 bellhousing is totally different to TS/JTD bellhousing, they don't bolt up. You might be able to use all the internals from a 2.5 V6 6-speed box inside the casings of the 166 TS box though.

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Registered
120 Posts
The pre-facelift 2.0TS cars used a 5 speed gearbox. I believe this was the box used in the 156 and it should be a straight swap for the 6 speed.

·
Vendor
46,056 Posts
The pre-facelift 2.0TS cars used a 5 speed gearbox. I believe this was the box used in the 156 and it should be a straight swap for the 6 speed.
Its not, it was a lift-reverse style 5-speed box (like the early GTV V6, Fiat Coupe 20vt & 156 2.4 10v), 5-speed box but of the same design as the 6-speed just a cog missing. The 6-speed would be a straight swap.

The 156 2.0 TS used a different 5-speed box with no lift collar for reverse - same as the Mk2 Punto HGT, GTV Twinspark, Fiat Coupe 20v N/A etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pud, are you saying a 5 speed from a 166 would be a straight swap for the 6 speed from a 166, albeit missing a cog?!

·
Vendor
46,056 Posts
Pud, are you saying a 5 speed from a 166 would be a straight swap for the 6 speed from a 166, albeit missing a cog?!
If you have a 166 2.0 TS with a 5-speed box, then a later 6-speed 166 2.0 TS gearbox would be a straight swap, yes.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Congrats Scott (y). Sounds like you're going to get a v low miles / exceptionally rare Ti spec 166 TS back on the road for less than £2k inc new 'box & clutch. A bargainl! And you beat me to it - I was mulling over the idea of buying it / doing the same as my 166 TS facelift is now on 124k miles & this would've been a perfect replacement esp with the amount of miles I do. Would love the 3.0 V6 but fuel bills would cripple me.

If you're just planning on getting it fully sorted then selling-on please let me know (y).

·
Registered
274 Posts
Cheers Pud. I've actually bought this car from Colin and now trying to source a box!
Congrats Scott (y). Sounds like you're going to get a v low miles / exceptionally rare Ti spec 166 TS back on the road for less than £2k inc new 'box & clutch. A bargainl! And you beat me to it - I was mulling over the idea of buying it / doing the same as my 166 TS facelift is now on 124k miles & this would've been a perfect replacement esp with the amount of miles I do. Would love the 3.0 V6 but fuel bills would cripple me.

If you're just planning on getting it fully sorted then selling-on please let me know (y)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks! My plan is to get it fixed and run it for myself. I do hardly any miles now so was going to swap out my 2.4 Brera for the 166. Ideally i fancied another Super but i do love the looks of the facelift and in Ti spec, so despite being a twinnie i decided to go for it. I also didn't want it to get broken and no one seemed to want to commit to it. Looking at the mot history it looks like it might need more doing to it than just the clutch and the box though - advisories last year for tyres, exhaust and fuel lines. I have possibly managed to source the correct 6 speed box second hand but it's more expensive than i had budgeted for. I also have a feeling they'll be some bodywork to tidy up. It'll be worth it when finished though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
OK no probs. Great to hear you're going to fully rescue this Ti - and yes, definitely worth it (y) . I paid about £3250 for my 2.0TS @ 92k miles - way over the odds BUT it was an exceptionally well-looked after one & so far it's been brilliant. So I guess you'll still end up spending less for what will be an excellent low miles example after you've finished.

And don't let it being a twinnie put you off - OK, it lacks outright power compared with the V6 but it's a surprisingly very responsive, smooth & sweet-revving car even with the extra weight of the 166. The best thing for me though is how it handles & feels - such beautifully direct & taut steering & lightness which you don't get with the heavier V6 up-front. No doubt like you I've owned lots of Alfa's and this is my favourite Alfa after the GTV 3.0 V6. They do get under your skin somehow.

BTW when funds allow I do recommend a custom stainless exhaust - luckily mine had one fitted already & it sounds lovely.

Good luck with the mini-restoration!

·
Registered
198 Posts
My last 166 was a 55 plate twinnie so I know the cars well. I started off with a 2.5 which had a Raggazon exhaust on it and i retro-fitted DSP and sat nav to it plus a Zender bodykit. I then had a stock 3.0 Super. Twinnie definitely lighter on its feet but the Busso does sound great!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just an update on where I am with this. Finally managed to get the gearbox sourced and delivered to the garage who are going to fit the new clutch and get it all back together again. The gearbox only arrived with them today and due to other work it's looking like the end of the month before I'll get possession of it. Frustrating as I thought I'd have been driving it weeks ago if things had went to plan.

In the meantime I've began sourcing some bits for it including some genuine new Ti badges as the current ones seem to be from a 159, and a set of genuine roof bars to get my bike racks on. Also have possibly sourced a full stainless exhaust system.

Once I get the car here I'll start a new thread to update progress.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts