Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Out of interest there is a set of genuine Zender side skirts on ebay which are ending this afternoon, £10 starting bid and no bidders. I enquired if he would post them but he wants collection only. He has them advertised with no mention of them being Zenders so i dont think he realises what they are.

Maybe a bargain for someone on here if you can pick them up?
He's also got a 166 V6 exhaust system with straight-through rear which I bet sounds fruity. Fetching a few bids already.
Any chance the listing is still up and someone can point me in the right direction? I've just put a deposit down on a facelift 166 busso. Will the zender front lip fit on a facelift model? Also what's the largest factory alloys the 166 came with? I really like the sport alloys but at 17 inches they look a bit small for the 166 barge. Will be a project car so that straight-through exhaust will be something I'm interested in.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Congratulations on bagging a lovely & rare car! Great to see you're looking to bring it back to good health (y) (y)

I'm 99% certain the Zender front spoiler doesn't fit the facelift 166, the front lower section is of different design to the pre-facelift, plus I've never seen a facelift with it on.

Looks like that exhaust on ebay is sold along with the Zender kit as he's not listing it anymore, only some rear 166 lights. Maybe worth getting in contact though as he had a few 166 spares listed v recently & may have more:

18" wheels are fine on the 166. The Ti version of the facelift came with the Ti 18"'s.... and they do look darned good, though a bit soft by all accounts. Obviously need to ensure offsets etc are the same - there's a few threads on here about it. The authentic 166 Ti wheels were:
8J x 18
ET 36.5

·
Registered
335 Posts
PS - that used full straight-through exhaust sold for just £48.50. Bargain.... so long as you live near Essex to pick it up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
PS - that used full straight-through exhaust sold for just £48.50. Bargain.... so long as you live near Essex to pick it up.
Was it an original exhaust modified or aftermarket? Wonder if I can make a counter offer to the buyer if it's already been sold.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congratulations on bagging a lovely & rare car! Great to see you're looking to bring it back to good health (y) (y)

I'm 99% certain the Zender front spoiler doesn't fit the facelift 166, the front lower section is of different design to the pre-facelift, plus I've never seen a facelift with it on.

Looks like that exhaust on ebay is sold along with the Zender kit as he's not listing it anymore, only some rear 166 lights. Maybe worth getting in contact though as he had a few 166 spares listed v recently & may have more:

18" wheels are fine on the 166. The Ti version of the facelift came with the Ti 18"'s.... and they do look darned good, though a bit soft by all accounts. Obviously need to ensure offsets etc are the same - there's a few threads on here about it. The authentic 166 Ti wheels were:
8J x 18
ET 36.5
It will be a slow burner that won't take off until next year at the earliest. I still haven't told the ball and chain, planning on hiding it in the garage for as long as possible. I originally bought it for the Busso but realised the car was in good nick and still running (touch wood) so figure might as well make the 166 the project car. Not keen on the front end compared to the 156 facelift which was my original plan for a project, maybe there's a body kit out there to sharpen the 166 facelift front end which looks a bit bulbous.

I might get some OZ msw 82 alloys to go with it if I can't find anything OEM to my liking. Really love the look of the super sports, just wished they were a bit bigger. Any Alfaesque aftermarket recommendations welcomed.

I'm looking into force induction and possibly big boring the Busso but will have to look at sorting out the ride if going over 300 horses. Can't imagine the 166 barge will be much fun to drive as it currently is. Also not too keen on the cream interior which has worn and faded quite badly, either going to restore it and keep that baby Maserati feel or swap with a black or red leather interior.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It will be a slow burner that won't take off until next year at the earliest.
There's never been a facelift front bodykit as far as I know. It's odd - general consensus is the facelift looks much better & more modern than the (arguably) droopy-looking front of the pre-facelift, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc. The pre-FL look has definitely grown on me though, I think it's very much colour-dependant as well.

Those OZ msw wheels are like what you get on the Alfa Giulia etc - should look good on the 166.

·
Registered
501 Posts

there are a few FL166’s out there with Zender kit and they do sure look fine!. Last I saw the zender front lip has to be cut and customized to fit the facelift but it looks great.

would be nice to find a kit that’s bolt on for the 166 FL though!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Great find (y). Yes, the Zender front spoiler must have to be cut / customised like you say to fit the FL, hopefully it overcomes alfaspike's issue with the bulbuous front end?! The Zender side skirts must fit straight on as the body was the same on the FL as the pre-FL.

In saying all that I think I prefer the FL without it. Nice alloys on that one above though :cool:

·
Registered
Alfa 166 Ti, Giulietta Veloce
338 Posts
They did make the Zender kit for the facelift too with the front lip being a different design. A guy on here had one back years ago when I had my first 166. Rare as rocking horse poo though! Side skirts and rear bumper diffuser are identical for both model cars.

·
Registered
335 Posts
They did make the Zender kit for the facelift too with the front lip being a different design. A guy on here had one back years ago when I had my first 166. Rare as rocking horse poo though! Side skirts and rear bumper diffuser are identical for both model cars.
Aaaah OK, I didn't realise they did one - respect to your knowledge (y) . And yes certainly a very rare thing.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Didn’t think they made one for the FL as well!? Cool. Must’ve been just that one they made 😂

·
Registered
338 Posts
Didn’t think they made one for the FL as well!? Cool. Must’ve been just that one they made 😂
I think you are correct! When I have a spare half day I will try to search out the thread. It was about 10 years ago when I had my 2.5 Zendered 166.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Seen this on FB last week and thought it was pretty stunning. I asked the guy what the front spoiler was and he said it is a modified item from Squadra Sportiva. He didn't go into specifics but said it was for a 166. Maybe a pre-facelift item? thought I'd share anyway.

It looks a bit like one of the OEM ones that you used to get for the 159.

Edit: It must be this: Frontspoiler

Looks much better in the pics I posted than the website ones (looks clunky).

Attachments

Reactions: FAssarsson

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yeah he’a also from Sweden so we’re in touch every now and then. It is that spoiler you have in your link but it’s been cut, sectioned, angled and shut. A lot of work but it really looks the way it should’ve from the factory.

his whole car is that way. Factory fresh! Resprayed engine bay even 😳😂

·
Registered
537 Posts
Looks great, I think I’ll keep my 3.2 std and leave the zender kit on my 3.0

21 - 35 of 35 Posts