Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to reinstall the short intermediate drive shaft that goes between the oil cooler housing and the gear box. It feels like the shaft is comin up against something in the gear box.

Any ideas or trick to doing this? The engine is out of the car.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Never had any issues with that one. The spline should engage easily enough and far enough out that it should be obvious if it hasn’t. Is the bearing a particularly tight fit in the housing maybe?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking it may be the housing that's causing the issue. Do you think it would make a difference if i took the weight of the engine, its currently out of the car but bolted to the sub frame?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The engine and gearbox assembly, with the mounts, should be a totally rigid unit, so as long as all the bolts are tight, there won’t be any relative movement between the parts to mess you up.

There isn’t even a snap ring on that right side shaft to complicate matters, it’s held in by the outer bearing & retainer plate that fits in the engine mount/filter housing/bearing carrier.

Can’t think of anything that could go wrong in the diff to cause a problem either.

Is the hole in the oil filter mount casting clean? Nothing stopping the bearing from going back in easily?

Some background might help maybe?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine and gearbox assembly, with the mounts, should be a totally rigid unit, so as long as all the bolts are tight, there won’t be any relative movement between the parts to mess you up.

There isn’t even a snap ring on that right side shaft to complicate matters, it’s held in by the outer bearing & retainer plate that fits in the engine mount/filter housing/bearing carrier.

Can’t think of anything that could go wrong in the diff to cause a problem either.

Is the hole in the oil filter mount casting clean? Nothing stopping the bearing from going back in easily?

Some background might help maybe?
Cheers Chris, as a bit of background. I'm converting my Auto 166 to a manual 6 speed. I purchased a gearbox, driveshafts, pedal box etc form Chris Cousins and shipped it to Australia. I've fitted a GTA clutch and solid fly wheel and have mated the gearbox to engine and then mounted it all to the subframe. That's how it stands as of today.

I've had another look today, it appears the drive shaft i purchased with the gearbox is a larger diameter than the tube that leads to the splines within the gearbox. The splines are the same, its the steel tube that's a larger diameter. I think I need to track down a replacement shaft.

Does anyone know how to identify the gearbox I have?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Ah, OK. I’m not 100% on this, but ISTR hearing that the auto and manual versions have slightly different offsets on the right side drive shaft mount. Diff in a slightly different place, so the intermediate shaft bearing has to be offset to suit. Could that be it? Is the shaft maybe not coaxial with the diff??

A quick check would be to remove the oil filter housing/mount unit then try and put the shaft in the gearbox. Or remove the gearbox of course, but that’s more work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts