Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked the oil and last service data and have now calculated that I've lost a bit more than half a liter of oil in 5000 miles. A couple of years back I remember engine simply did not use any oil.

Assuming that there's no leak - I can't see any obvious ones - what would this level of oil consumption mean for the health of my v6 ?
And yes, I do have plans to have compression test done - just being impatient :rolleyes:

I'm trying to determine whether the car is healthy enough to be worth investing considerable money in it: new suspension, next cambelt coming up, part respray, maybe Q2 diff, maybe 17" wheels.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
That's far from excessive....but as you say, it didn't but now it does, so something has changed, and not for the better!

I don't think I'd fret too much about that level of use - may just be an accumulation of things now it's getting on a bit, slight blowby, slight valve stem seal leak, slight crank seal leaks all just adding up rather than a single point of concern.

As you say, do a compression test and see what that tells you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An update - turns out there must've been a very slight leak from the oil cooler pipes after all. That has developed into dripping just days before as I was going for a long drive.

Thankfully I got a new (used) oil cooler + pipes from eBay Ireland - thanks to Don Baker! This is now installed (mechanic had to replace the rubber seals to make it tight) and I've just done 1k miles.

Have not checked the oil level yet, but hopefully it'll be back to zero consumption - fingers crossed !!

Not too sure whether to be glad this is sorted or nervous as I was when waiting for eBay delivery. Wonder how many other parts are not being produced anymore ?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Good news.

Have to say, I find this version of the Busso pretty impressive for longevity as long as it's cared for.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
An update - turns out there must've been a very slight leak from the oil cooler pipes after all. That has developed into dripping just days before as I was going for a long drive.

Thankfully I got a new (used) oil cooler + pipes from eBay Ireland - thanks to Don Baker! This is now installed (mechanic had to replace the rubber seals to make it tight) and I've just done 1k miles.

Have not checked the oil level yet, but hopefully it'll be back to zero consumption - fingers crossed !!

Not too sure whether to be glad this is sorted or nervous as I was when waiting for eBay delivery. Wonder how many other parts are not being produced anymore ?
The guys who changed my oil cooler pipes spent nearly all day on the job...with the lower frame and the abs pump frame...2 of them...one whole day....

was it an expensive job for you too Pertricia??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pertricia, who he ? ;)

The mechanic who took on the oil cooler job spent two full afternoons on it, one to get the old one off and put the new one in, only to discover there's still a small leak, another afternoon to take it off again and replace the rubber seals. I must admit I am a bit hazy as to where exactly these are but from what the mechanic told me, they're at the back, where the pipes go into the engine. To get all this done, he mentioned removing the alternator and drive axle? - not sure about exact translation, the work was done in Slovenia.

Price - I got several things done - new rear brake calipers, new rear wheel arch liner, air filter, pollen filter, new (used) O/S headlight, oil topup all for €500. I need to check the invoice but I suspect he still under-charged on labour - have been coming to him with my Lancia/Alfa problems for years :)

All in all, €500 is a considerable sum in Europe but with current exchange rate it is not too bad, cca £375, so I do not feel ripped off, especially as after 1k miles no oil was lost - peace of mind is priceless.

There was another problem though - car was losing power slightly, so I took it in again here in Ipswich thinking it's going to be MAF - turns out it was lambda sensor.

Next on the list - rear suspension.
Ah the joys of throwing money at an old Italian car :)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Pertricia, who he ? ;)

The mechanic who took on the oil cooler job spent two full afternoons on it, one to get the old one off and put the new one in, only to discover there's still a small leak, another afternoon to take it off again and replace the rubber seals. I must admit I am a bit hazy as to where exactly these are but from what the mechanic told me, they're at the back, where the pipes go into the engine. To get all this done, he mentioned removing the alternator and drive axle? - not sure about exact translation, the work was done in Slovenia.

Price - I got several things done - new rear brake calipers, new rear wheel arch liner, air filter, pollen filter, new (used) O/S headlight, oil topup all for €500. I need to check the invoice but I suspect he still under-charged on labour - have been coming to him with my Lancia/Alfa problems for years :)

All in all, €500 is a considerable sum in Europe but with current exchange rate it is not too bad, cca £375, so I do not feel ripped off, especially as after 1k miles no oil was lost - peace of mind is priceless.

There was another problem though - car was losing power slightly, so I took it in again here in Ipswich thinking it's going to be MAF - turns out it was lambda sensor.

Next on the list - rear suspension.
Ah the joys of throwing money at an old Italian car :)
£375 for all that work is a rock bottom bargain, especially if it includes the parts. Recon calipers are about £80 each for a start. I paid £500 labour to change the oil cooler and pipes, radiator frame and abs pump frame, I supplied the parts myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts