Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heya there. There are 3 wires for seat heaters, one red, one black and blue. My question to you guys is, what is the blue wire for? I know what red and black are for, but not the blue one. Tried on Elearn without any luck.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it's true yeah, tell me one more thing. I've removed my seats from the car, connected them to a 12V car battery but the heaters still won't work. Is there a sensor inside the seat that senses the human seating on the seat? Or do I need a relay for them to operate correctly? I've been trying to set up the seats for my 156 model, but first I need to get them to work inside the 166 seats. Cause if they don't work, I won't even bother striping the seats apart.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ow and to add, I got my seats in my garage, connected to the battery which isn't inside a car. So is there anything else that I need to connect the seat to, before connecting it to the battery? Relay or something? Cause neither of them are working. It would be strange is both heaters would break down together

·
Registered
497 Posts
There is no sensor, registering a body presence on the seat. The heaters have a built-in overheating protection. The reason for the not working heaters is a malfunction of this protection or a blown heater. Unfortunately in both of the cases the solution is the replacement of the heaters.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trough the connector directly, connecting red and blue wite to positive and black one to negative. I just found out there's another yellow connector that does something to the heater as well, cause I've taken the heaters out. If I connect the + and - to the back heater, it works, however the one that's for the bottom part does not. If I connect the back one with the bottom one, the back one won't work either. My guess is that the bottom one is broken, since it does not process the 12v to the back one. Here's the pic of how it all looks like:

Bottom seat heater:

Wiring to it:

Those 2 wires come from the bottom seat heater too, shown in the picture before:

Back seat connector:

Switch for heaters:

Back heater:

Can anyone tell me where do I connect the cables for this thing to work?

·
Administrator
5,038 Posts
Do you have a multimeter, you could measure the resistance of each heater element and also check the heater switch or link out the switch to check it.

My heater switch would light up and also it show it on when depressed but the contacts were not making a good contact.

I Stripped it down and cleaned and adjusted the contacts and it worked.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think, that the heater's resistance should be measured as shown here. It's value should be something around 5 - 6 Ohms.
Yellow wire provides power. So what's the black one there for? is it for the back seat heater power? Cause I opened the box and it was broken inside, so the electricity didn't pass onto the black wire. So I connected yellow and black one together, and it seems to heat both pads up, which it didn't do before. I'll check if it's the same with the other seat tomorrow and post results here.
Thanks for now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
+12 V should be present on the yellow wire. The black wire is the negative wire (-12V to chassis) . Both of them must be present for the current to pass through the heater.
If everything is OK with the power supply, 12V should be present between the black and the yellow wire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts