Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
since a few weeks i have a strange problem, if i press the seek button on the ICS the radio begins to seek an nevers stops.

i went to my dealer and they told me that the radio antenna amplifier (for the antenna in the back window) may be damaged, so i bought a new one and replaced it, but with no luck, i still have the same problem...

the amplifier (P25 on DTE CD) has 5 connectors, 2 for the back window (heating grid), 1 for the antenna cable to the radio and 2 supply cables.

the smaller one of the two has 12V if i turn on the radio and measure to the ground, but the other not (it also is not ground) the color if this cable is red/black or brown/black

i also checked all fuses, but all are ok (under the wheel and in the back)

can anyone help my ?? my last hope is that the new one is also broken...

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Hi and welcome,

not sure I have heard of this before, is the radio antenna in the back of the ICS correctly? I am thinking it can only be the connection in the boot, the connection to the ICS or the ICS itself

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
just a thought, have you tried an ordinary aerial, not one built into the rear screen,
later cars had the shark fin type mounted on the roof, would one of those help be a solution if it is aerial related and just do awat with the rear screen type.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Would also agree that it is more likely to be a connection fault than the antenna amplifier itself that is the issue - generally the most susceptable area is the co-ax cable so may be worth accessing both ends (easier said than done!) and checking for continuity/damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i checked the antenna amplifier again, and its working, i also know now that the second cable is for the rear window heating, the antenna amplifier is used as bridge connector for the heating power, if i turn on the heating the second cable also has 12V

i think that the problem is in the radio, maybe it has two tuners built in, on for listening and one for "rds eon" and station seek, and this one seem to be damaged...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi All,

I'm experiencing a similar problem - the ICS will not tune into any but the strongest signal radio stations. Never had any problem getting a full suite of AM and FM stations on other cars where I live, so I know signal strength is not a problem - and I don't recall have tuning problems on previous 166's.

So far all I've checked is that the antenna lead is connected to the back of the ICS. Is the antenna amplifier a sensible next step... if so, is this it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...557085?hash=item2a541917dd:g:6AEAAOSwBahU22Jy

... and secondly, if it's located under the rear parcel shelf, that looks like the rear seat upright has to come out first followed by a couple of screws before the shelf lifts out - can someone confirm?

cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
65 Posts
just to note that the amplifier is NOT located under the parcel shelf ! I read this and proceeded to look for it there - it actually is under the C pillar lining, you have to take the rear seat off and rip that off.

I would have posted a photo had it been not so hard to do here :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts