Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have purchased the LOUDLINK BLUETOOTH HANDSFREE CAR KIT AND OGG VORBIS MP3 AAC WMA FLAC WAV PLAYER FOR ALFA ROMEO 166

But, when I install it, and turns on ICS, the Loudlink just does not react in any way, and ICS states "No CD player" when I press CD.

If I disconnects the cable to the Loudlink box, and puts it back in, the LED on the Loudlink starts blinking blue, and never stops. Pressing CD on the ICS makes it say "No CD player".

So, what to do?

My ICS seems to be a Siemens device, and every where I read, it should be a Becker device?

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks to Loudlink support through their Facebook page, I have now had succes in conecting and playing from Spotify. Very nice!

It turned out that the ICS had a faulty ground from the original CD player, so making a direct ground wire for the Loudlink made it work. Next stop: Fix ICS ground error, and figure out how to get line out signals for external amps for front, rear and subwoofer.

·
Registered
10,934 Posts
Good job John. Not many have loudlinks. IIRC sum one in the past did it.

Pomeo

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For now, the Loudlink seems to be very good value for money. Sound is a whole lot better than from the radio, and a bit of sound deadening of the car doors will make it even better.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am struggling a bit with noise, and a high pitched whining sound (alternator), hopefully it goes away once I get a good ground wire established, as right now I think there might be a ground loop.

There are a few things to get used to, and I am still considering installing an Audison Bit Ten D sound processor instead, combined with a bluetooth module and my iPhone, it could be a quite good solution.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I am struggling a bit with noise, and a high pitched whining sound (alternator), hopefully it goes away once I get a good ground wire established, as right now I think there might be a ground loop.

There are a few things to get used to, and I am still considering installing an Audison Bit Ten D sound processor instead, combined with a bluetooth module and my iPhone, it could be a quite good solution.
Your post was some time ago, John, but just thought I'd ask how you got on with it in the end. Did you solve the alternator whine by adding additional grounding? I also recall that problem when I tried to set up a line-in. This time around, I'll go with the Loudlink, I think.

-Alex

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I guess you'll probably want the latest version, but I still have an early non-BT Loudlink for sale £50 + P&P of your choice at cost.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I guess you'll probably want the latest version, but I still have an early non-BT Loudlink for sale £50 + P&P of your choice at cost.
Thanks - I guessed you might :)
But no, I'll need some way for a phone call to be answered while driving - without using the phone of course, as that's illegal in NZ as it is in the UK.

I do like how all that stuff "just works" in newer cars like my Golf, but we'd like to free up the cash to help with other things.

-Alex

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
No worries, I had to at least try ;)

I'm still suffering a bit of techno-shock having recently bought both an iPhone and a new Merc. First time Siri piped up from the car speakers it certainly made me do a double-take.

Being able to fire up the A/C in the car from the phone is a susprisingly useful feature. Great on frosty mornings qnd no doubt just as good on hot afternoons.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Second thing I did to my car (first was to bag the gearbox ECU) was install a Bluetooth Loudlink.

I fed the USB charger cable and the microphone back up to the little cubby on top of the dash and bought a cheapo iPhone stand to sit in the cubby.

Then you can listen to your tunes and Google Maps (or other smartphone sat nav of choice) via the ICS with the phone on a pretty decent eyeline - and keep the phone charged.

Once you're done, close the cubby lid and it's all tidied away...

Reactions: alexGS

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Second thing I did to my car (first was to bag the gearbox ECU) was install a Bluetooth Loudlink.

I fed the USB charger cable and the microphone back up to the little cubby on top of the dash and bought a cheapo iPhone stand to sit in the cubby.

Then you can listen to your tunes and Google Maps (or other smartphone sat nav of choice) via the ICS with the phone on a pretty decent eyeline - and keep the phone charged.

Once you're done, close the cubby lid and it's all tidied away...
I've ordered my Bluetooth Loudlink so that I can do this, too :)
With tracked shipping, it cost about as much a whole new standard car stereo these days :D but we all know that the ICS is what you're stuck with in the 166... and at least the steering wheel controls will work this way!

Do you have a photo of your iPhone stand setup please, I'd be interested to see how the lid sits when your iPhone is in use? Is it in 'portrait' or 'landscape' mode? I'm considering a switch to a Plus-sized iPhone, which will make landscape mode a reality (I think).

Cheers
-Alex

·
Registered
679 Posts
Do you have a photo of your iPhone stand setup please, I'd be interested to see how the lid sits when your iPhone is in use? Is it in 'portrait' or 'landscape' mode? I'm considering a switch to a Plus-sized iPhone, which will make landscape mode a reality (I think).
I have an iPhone 6 - there's plenty of room for a 6 Plus, I'd say.

(The pic of the phone in situ is from a slightly lower eyeline than when I'm driving the car. And having the storage lid up makes it very easy to see the phone display.)

Once you've removed the dashboard storage box itself (four screws behind black caps), you need to carefully remove the alarm LED (bit of a flimsy connector on mine). Then tape the LED and its lead onto the dash, or else it's likely to disappear down into the dash behind the ICS...

Drill a hole in the back of the box - and you can then thread the cables up between the dash air vents. I located my Loudlink on the side of the glovebox, BTW - so I could get to it without taking the ICS out if need be (eg updates, resets). It's still hidden, however.

The stand itself is a flexible rubber/neoprene thing that I bought from eBay for a couple of pounds... nothing glamorous. But it's small enough to live in the cubby, and grippy enough to hold onto the phone.

HTH!

Jeremy

Attachments

Reactions: alexGS

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Your post was some time ago, John, but just thought I'd ask how you got on with it in the end. Did you solve the alternator whine by adding additional grounding? I also recall that problem when I tried to set up a line-in. This time around, I'll go with the Loudlink, I think.

-Alex
I dropped using ICS/Loudlink all together, and I have installed an iPad Mini, a Tunai Firefly Bluetooth 4.0, an Audison Bit Ten D dsp, and a couple of Brax amplifiers ;-)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I dropped using ICS/Loudlink all together, and I have installed an iPad Mini, a Tunai Firefly Bluetooth 4.0, an Audison Bit Ten D dsp, and a couple of Brax amplifiers ;-)
Thanks for the update! :)
Sounds like a great setup for music, and would look good with an 8" capacitive touchscreen in the dash. I thought about doing this in one of my cars, but didn't know how to make a radio with an iPad. The best solution I could come up with was an iPad-controlled Sony stereo hidden somewhere else.

Without the ICS I guess you've given up being able to see the air conditioning settings? The trip computer could probably be done with an OBD app and a Bluetooth dongle in the OBD socket, so that's probably not such a loss.

-Alex

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, sorry.. ICS is still there for airconditioning and trip computer.

Made a custom mount for the iPad Mini, and the control for the Audison DSP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts