Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfaowners ! First , please, dont judge me for my horrible english , its not my native. I own a Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS 1998 , and i have the bouncy idle when moving problem. I have new coils and spark plugs. I cleaned the throttle body and..nothing. Checked for air leaks and there are none. When the car is moving in neutral the idle bounce between 600 and 1000 rpms (not every time... :furious: ) Today the ABS and Hand Brake lights came on + my speedo died. The car worked with no problem , until a realised that my rpm are rock solid ! SHOCKED ! No matter how i drove it , the rpm's was steady. On the next startup the two warning lights was off , and the bouncy idle came back... I cleaned the ABS modul connector , but the bouncy rpm's are still here. Now i think that my ABS modul is giving some bad signals and that is messing with the rpm's when the car is moving. When the car is not moving , rpm's are super. So guys...i wonder , how the ABS modul is messing with my idle rpm's. I checked the car with diagnostic tool , and there was no problem at all. I hope , u guys can help me , because the car is very good , but that problem is driving me crazy already :depressed:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey - This is a common problem. It's to do with ABS module and it reading the speed. It takes the speed from the gauge, believe it or not. Check out this thread. Their fix is a bit drastic, but read through it - You might try an idle/throttle reset first? If the speedo stopped and the problem stopped too, it's a good indication it is this problem http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/55388-156-wonky-idle-the-fix.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and thanks for the reply. I tried ecu/throttle reset , but nothing. Yes - when the ABS and Handbrake lights are ON , and my speedo dies , the rpm's are rock solid. On the alfa 166 there are 3 connectors in the back of the dashboard, its not like 156. So i'm thinking about replacing the ABS module .. its very annoying problem :(

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hello and thanks for the reply. I tried ecu/throttle reset , but nothing. Yes - when the ABS and Handbrake lights are ON , and my speedo dies , the rpm's are rock solid. On the alfa 166 there are 3 connectors in the back of the dashboard, its not like 156. So i'm thinking about replacing the ABS module .. its very annoying problem :(
Ah I see - You could run the car with the fuse out of ABS to confirm? Like you say, get another ABS module then. They can't be expensive. And it is worth looking on Ebay and at other countries. There are many more parts in Italy, and the sellers often will send to other countries, if you think you might have problems getting one in your country.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All day my ABS is dead , and my rpm's are steady. Around 200 km. city driving and no problems with the idle. I found ABS module from the same car , for about 20$ , and i will give it a try. Thanks Mystic ! I will write when i change that cursed thing. :furious:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The road speed signal comes from the ABS system into the dash, it then gets sent out to all the others systems that need it like the ECU, ICS, radio.

Interesting problem though....but I'm kind of wondering if it even is a fault. It might be that by coasting in neutral, you are fooling the system into doing an over run cutoff??

A bit random, but check that the brake and clutch pedal switches are working properly. ABS faults can often be generated by problems with those switches....but, given your speedo stops when the ABS fault happens, probably not that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts