Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Sorry I think I put this in wrong section earlier!!! New to site but it looks great.

I have an Alfa 166 Twin Spark 2.0litre petrol, 84K miles. There is a loud clunk noise when I first turn the steering wheel after the car has been parked (regardless of how long). It doesnt happen again until it is parked again. It just happens on the first turn of the wheel. When jacked up there is no noise so only happens when under load. No obvious CV knock on full lock etc. Shocks seem OK, all bushings look OK, but I cant be sure about the rack? Is there any way to prove it is the rack - if it was the rack would it not knock during normal driving? Sometimes it feels close to your feet so that is why I suspect the rack.

Also anyone got problem with squeeky clutch pedal - no amount of spray/grease will cure it. I believe there is a bush in the pedal somewhere but it looks difficult to remove.

Any ideas / help on both these issues would be great?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
What about on full lock to full lock manoeuvres???

Track rod end cause knocking like this when I had a 155 (wrong size fitted by garage & bolt tightened to 'fit', which wore loose leaving knocking sound.
Passed MOT with this :D, just fu.ked the tyres :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
Steering knock.

Have you checked that the racks bolted down securely?

Sounds like when the steering pump first builds pressure, it is taking up some slack somewhere. With pressure built up, all play is taken up, until the engine is switched off and the pressure drops and the slack returns.

Just guessing, but does it sound 'pressure related'?

·
Registered
518 Posts
ask someone to wiggle the steering wheel whilst you look at the rack, if you see any movement then it is either the rack bushes or the rack has partially broken away from its mounts...if either then its rack out time (you may be able to replace bushes in situ) . Could also be the rack CV joint where the shaft joins the rack. Getting unusual tyre wear?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No unusual tyre wear. I have checked the rack by wriggling steering etc and everything looks and feels solid. I have checked all mountings etc with tyre lever and no unusual play. Rack CV joing at base of column is also good. Some small sideways movement on drive shaft CV joints but nothing exceptional - i have seen much worse on other cars. No full lock knock either.

What is involved in doing the rack bushes and where are they located? If anyone has anything on this I would appreciate the help?

Thanks for the other replies.

Cheers

MFK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts