Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have front and rear Zender bumpers that I no longer need after selling my Q4 last year. I believe they're new but they don't have the original packaging and have some storage marks as you might expect. The front looks to have been primered at some point.

They're suitable for pre-facelift cars, but should also fit cars with the Cloverleaf kit regardless of year (the bumpers will replace the Cloverleaf extensions).

If interested, comment here or send me a message.
Ta.

Reactions: Mufasa

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some of the original press pictures to give you an idea of what the parts look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi,
I have front and rear Zender bumpers that I no longer need after selling my Q4 last year. I believe they're new but they don't have the original packaging and have some storage marks as you might expect. The front looks to have been primered at some point.

They're suitable for pre-facelift cars, but should also fit cars with the Cloverleaf kit regardless of year (the bumpers will replace the Cloverleaf extensions).

If interested, comment here or send me a message.
Ta.
Hi Haydn,

Please pm with photographs.
Show cutouts for headlamp washers if any
Confirm finish in graphite grey and whether they will need a repaint
And, how much?

Kind regards
Peter

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Peter,
Here are a couple of pictures - one of the front, one of the rear. They don't replace the whole bumper; just the lower sections front and rear. So they would replace the Cloverleaf's deeper front and rear bumper extensions, and should (!) fit straight onto the bumpers of a non-Cloverleaf car. I hope that makes sense.

Edit: These pictures are taken from the eBay advert for them, where I have them listed for £100 each. I really don't want to go lower than that as it seems I overpaid for them when I bought them last year (you live and learn I suppose).

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Haydn

Thank you for your response

I am interested only in full bumpers
to paint and swap over

Kind regards and good luck
Peter

PS. How is the bi-turbo progressing?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Peter,
No problem, thanks for the interest regardless.
As for the Biturbo, it's finally a runner as of Monday last week. I've now been working on the car for two years, there's still quite a list of jobs to get through but I'm gradually getting there!

Haydn

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Haydn

Your courage for tackling the Maserati is commendable.
How are you managing to source parts?

I have bought a 3200GT. Parts are usually unobtainable or eye wateringly expensive.
Driving it is a bit like trying to take an untrained Bull Terrier for a walk on a lead.
Potholes must be avoided.
The 3 main noise elements, exhaust, wind and tyres compete for supremacy.
It is impressive though, but for UK roads and or long distance journeys within nearly tolerated speeds, the 164 QV is the better car.
It does look gorgeous though.

Good luck and kind regards
Peter

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Peter,

My apologies, I completely forgot to reply to your post.

The majority of the parts haven't been that difficult to come by; the main issue is of course the price as you suggest. Though, I obviously knew they wouldn't be cheap from the beginning. Some parts have been very tricky to buy at a reasonable price, such as a new pair of rubber boots for the steering rack, so I'm waiting on a company that is remanufacturing some.

In short - it's given me more than a few headaches so far.

It doesn't help that Maserati made so few of these cars as a sort of bridge between the 222 series and the Ghibli that followed. As such, technical data and correct workshop manuals are hard to find, and I've been unable to source full wiring schematics for it which could be a problem in the near future. Forget trying to find replacement outer sill panels for a 222 coupe too. I'm having to weld my original panels to the best of my abilities. Thankfully the inner sill is in good condition. All that's left to do really is a bit more welding in the N/S floor, welding on both outer sills, and welding both front inner arches. After that, it's basically a case of refitting all the carpets and interior, refurbing the wheels, and then making sure everything works as intended in preparation for an MOT. When I type it out like that it does seem slightly overwhelming of course!

Regarding your 3200 - firstly, congrats on the purchase. If you need a hand finding parts for it, let me know as I've become all too accustomed to trawling the internet for spares. I find eBay to be an excellent sources of original spare parts, mainly from German businesses such as Modena Parts that advertise on there and don't ask the world for many of their parts (but they do for some items...). I would highly recommend David Askew who is based in Leicestershire, I've dealt with him a few times and the service is excellent. You've also got McGrath Maserati, Scuderia Car Parts, Emblem Sports Cars, Eurospares and Mike Roberts/The Maserati Shed (+ others I'll have forgotten) who can help you out with spares. I would also recommend the SportsMaserati Forum for general chit chat or technical advice.

It's interesting to note the comparisons between the 3200 and the 164. The Maserati will be faster and perhaps more exciting but I think you'll agree the 164 would likely be the better all-rounder.

Kind regards,
Haydn

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Haydn,
My apologies. I completely missed your post dated 6th April.
I don't visit here much anymore as there is about as much interest here in the 164 as in AROC.
Long live the 166 but I felt it tried too hard to be a BMW and lost some of the Alfa magic in the process.

Your remarks about Maserati parts are spot on.
How can a new wishbone cost £650 and be unavailable - you only need 8 of them?
Agreed that David Askew is a star. Could not get as far as an appointment with Mike Roberts.
Luckily I have found an excellent local outfit who are looking after the car.

The 3200 is just great for overtaking - I can take the whole string of cars in front now in one bite.
Best part though is the view from behind.
Worst part is the bloody noise it makes - exhaust, tyres and wind all compete with each other.
As a GT car it leans towards a sports car, The 164 QV as a useful berlina leans towards a sports car.
Given a one or the other choice I would go with the 164. Truly I am getting old.

A couple of nice Bi-Turbos in next weeks Brightwells Car Auction at Leominster. Take a look at their online catalogue.

Kind regards and keep up the good work,
Peter

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zaid - sorry, the kit sold earlier this year.

Peter - Hello!
I also rarely find myself on here these days, no particular reason I suppose.
£650 for a wishbone is ever so slightly outrageous! But I'd expect nothing less really. The margins on these parts must be laughable. David Askew and eBay (Modena parts mainly) are my go-to suppliers. Though you can find any part you need if you look hard enough.

Great to hear that you're having fun with the 3200! The exhaust and tyre noise is perhaps not too surprising, but the wind noise? Is that just an aerodynamic foible or does the car have a bad door seal or something?
I understand why you would choose the 164 though. Yes, it's not as quick or valuable but I'd imagine it's a much more relaxed and comfortable drive with a great soundtrack, and more than enough power should you need it. It'll be a lot rarer too.

I'll take a look in the catalogue, I do tend to try and keep an eye on values though there are so many Biturbo variants in such differing conditions that it's tricky to get an accurate representation of the car's value. My 222 4v for example has covered 59k miles and is one of just 11 RHD 222 4vs built. But it has no service history - aside from what I've gathered during my ownership - thanks to the previous owner, and it'll be a rolling project for some time as I gradually work my way through improving it.

I say 'rolling' project by the way, as it passed its MOT on the 18th of September. I've only driven it a couple of times since, as I'm currently busy with a few jobs on the 156, but it's certainly an interesting car to drive. It's much firmer than I expected and although I'm almost certain there's a vacuum leak somewhere, it still pulls like a freight train. I've yet to go full-throttle, you simply don't need to. But I don't think the feeling of falling back in your seat as the turbos come to life will ever get old!!

Take care,
Haydn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts