Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to fix a 1989 164Q . It has two speed wipers and as far as i can tell a single setting for the delay (intermittent) operation on the first position.
The wipers operate on speed 1 and speed 2 and they park when turned off but will not operate on intermittent mode. I have tried to find the relay or control unit for this but havenyt had much success so far!
Does any one know where the relay or intermittent control unit is located?

Cheers Mike

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
It's built into the wiper motor on the 164. AFAIK, the motor is the same whether it has fixed or variable delay, you just replace a link wire with a pot (or switched resistor) and away you go. I used one of these motors in my Strat rep.

It should have 4 speed control wires on it. Park, slow, fast and delay. If it's in a fixed delay car, there will be a link wire from one terminal to ground, if it's adjustable, this link is missing and there is a pot from the terminal to ground. Can't recall the range of values it wants...but I do have some notes somewhere I think.

If the link was cut, but no pot is present, that would give you the symptom you've got I think - it's effectively infinite delay.

HTH

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the wiper motor today and it was in perfect condition. I found the problem to be the black wire with white stripe had dislodged from the plastic plug housing. It is very poorly retained and i think this has been a problem since the car was new.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts