Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
As there has been some discussion about the Motronic M1.7 fault codes I thought I would post the most complete list I know of for future reference. These are probably only available to post 1994 Alfa 164 24v models that have the injector light on the dashboard.

Codes are retrieved by turning the ignition on but not starting car and pumping the gas pedal all the way to the floor 5 times very quickly. You get one long flash then a series of flashes (up to four flashes per block and a total of four blocks, then you get another long flash). If more than one code is stored then it will show after the first one, if only one code then it will repeat.

Codes as follows:
3-3-3-3 Not known
4-4-4-4 No error code stored
1-2-1-1 Incorrect battery voltage
1-2-1-4 Engine temperature sensor faulty
1-2-1-6 Throttle angle sensor faulty
1-2-2-1 Air flow meter faulty
1-2-2-2 Constant idle speed actuator faulty (opening winding)
1-2-2-3 Lambda probe regulation faulty
1-2-2-4 Heated lambda probe faulty
1-2-2-5 Air temperature sensor faulty
1-2-2-6 ECU faulty
1-2-3-1 Electroinjectors faulty
1-2-3-2 Ditto
1-2-3-3 Constant idle speed actuator faulty (closing winding)
1-2-3-5 A/c Input signal faulty
1-2-3-6 Heater/ventilation system (compressor control faulty)
1-2-4-3 Petrol pump relay faulty
1-2-4-4 Evaperative solenoid valve faulty
1-2-5-1 Eprom control unit faulty
1-2-5-2 Speed sensor faulty
1-2-5-4 Throttle angle sensor faulty (don't why 2 codes for this)
1-2-5-5- Cam angle sensor faulty
2-1-1-1 Knock sensor 1 faulty
2-1-1-2 Knock sensor 2 faulty
2-1-1-3 Knock regulator faulty (voltage regulator)
2-1-1-6 Ditto

Treat all these codes with caution, it is possible to get codes that end up with you going on a wild goose chase but I have to say they have treated me well.

And a link showing how.

Alfa Romeo 155 2.5 V6 Checking ECU trouble code - YouTube



.
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
pat said:
Nothing for 1long flash and 3333????????????/ :confused:
As I still have`nt the cd rom an the 164(24v) can someone tell me where there may be a fuse that I may have missed so that I may resolve this code key fault.
I have looked ia the obvious places ,fuse box front bulkhead,boot at battery,some Inoticed near the yellow code box at the steering column etc. :eek:
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
pat said:
Nothing for 1long flash and 3333????????????/ :confused:[/QUOTe
Does no one know this code?
Daiblack I know you ere banned If you can help me if you have any ideas give us a Private message or Jimybob was it anybody know if they are still around
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pat said:
pat said:
Nothing for 1long flash and 3333????????????/ :confused:[/QUOTe
Does no one know this code?
Daiblack I know you ere banned If you can help me if you have any ideas give us a Private message or Jimybob was it anybody know if they are still around
Pat, the 3-3-3-3 code is not anything I have ever heard of, can you confirm this is the code you are getting with the "pump gas pedal 5 times method"? I will have a look for fuses etc but in the meantime try posting in the technical section of the discussion forum here http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/ , bare in mind the majority of the posters there are USA members who do not know what the AlfaCode (security) system is as the USA cars never had it to my knowledge but you might get lucky with a UK member. As with any good forum be as specific as you can to take the guess work out of any reply :)

Remember that the flashing fault codes are not related to the AlfaCode system, one is engine management and one is immobilisor.

Good luck mate

Mike
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Mike M said:
Pat, the 3-3-3-3 code is not anything I have ever heard of, can you confirm this is the code you are getting with the "pump gas pedal 5 times method"? I will have a look for fuses etc but in the meantime try posting in the technical section of the discussion forum here http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/ , bare in mind the majority of the posters there are USA members who do not know what the AlfaCode (security) system is as the USA cars never had it to my knowledge but you might get lucky with a UK member. As with any good forum be as specific as you can to take the guess work out of any reply :)

Remember that the flashing fault codes are not related to the AlfaCode system, one is engine management and one is immobilisor.

Good luck mate

Mike
At present trying to register there seems to be a problem with account name have notified webmaster.Will let you know haw things develop.
Will start swapping components over with other car to try and eliminate fault starting with the code box then ECU
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Merry Christrmas to all who have helped me in the past year and to all Alfisti out there !!!!!!!! ;)
I now have a 164 cd rom and its quite a troll thro` ,can anyone tell me where there are two 5amp fuses for the code box as the supplement to the manuel says they are there somewhereand should be eliminated first, and the American spec do not seem to use the same system,I can`t find anything on security? CHEERS PAT
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
OK i HAVE DONE A BIT MORE RESEARCH INTO THIS FAULT THINGY ,IT DOES SEEM LIKE THERE IS NO POWER GOING TO THE ECU SO A POWER LOSS EXISTS BECAUSE THE CODE BOX IS ARGUING WITH THE IGNITION KEY,AND THE FAULT LIGHT IS STILL ON WHEN YOU SWITCH ON,SO I RECKON A FAULT LIES AROUND THERE SOMEWHERE i WILL GET A LOCAL DIAGNOSTIC TO LOOK FIRST THEN i THINK IF NO LUCK i WILL HAVE TO BITE THE BULLET.
uNLESS SOMEBODY OUT THERE HAS ANYTHING DIFFERENT TO SUGGEST.
yOURS fed up pat :mad:
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
HAS ANYBODY HAD TO BUY A NEW MASTER KEY (BURGANDY) AND THEN GOT IT RECODED TO ORIGINAL CODE .
How much was it and what is the best plan of action.
Problem being that the code box could be u/s but don`t want to spend a lot to find this out if you see what I mean.
Imay have to identify which is wrong but recoding box may find this out.Ref 164 threads on alfacodes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
pat said:
HAS ANYBODY HAD TO BUY A NEW MASTER KEY (BURGANDY) AND THEN GOT IT RECODED TO ORIGINAL CODE .

I didn't think was possible - the ecu & the key are linked forever surely?

Talk to the experts (not a dealer :cheese: )
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
No its the code box which may be linked and recoded , the ecu is a separate management thing.The code box is the yellow box behind the steering column cover,its the control between the key and ECU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
pat said:
No its the code box which may be linked and recoded , the ecu is a separate management thing.The code box is the yellow box behind the steering column cover,its the control between the key and ECU.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

So will this code box need to be replaced as well anyway? :confused:

I think it is still going to be expensive :rolleyes:
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
HowardA said:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

So will this code box need to be replaced as well anyway? :confused:

I think it is still going to be expensive :rolleyes:
Has anybody read the article on buying a second hand 164 , well it seems to be one answer in the right direction for me!
I contacted an ecu doctor that fixed this model and he seems to think that my problem is easy enough to fix at a cost approx £175 has anybody used him or should I ask some more questions? :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is all on the wrong thread really but...if this relates to removing the coil around the ignition barrel and recoding ECU to 0000 then I have heard it works just fine but I havent got any direct experience of it. If in doubt get some sort of written assurance from him that if he does any damage that he cannot fix, he will take responsibility for getting it sorted :)
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Sorry Mike it was late last night for me, your right it is on the wrong thread but it still the same problem so anyway thanks for reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
pat said:
Merry Christrmas to all who have helped me in the past year and to all Alfisti out there !!!!!!!! ;)
I now have a 164 cd rom and its quite a troll thro` ,can anyone tell me where there are two 5amp fuses for the code box as the supplement to the manuel says they are there somewhereand should be eliminated first, and the American spec do not seem to use the same system,I can`t find anything on security? CHEERS PAT

Hi Pat... where did you get a hold of the CD??
I'm looking for one for my '95 164 Q4 and myself :p

Morten, Denmark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
I got similar problems on my 156, If anyone could let me know how to get in touch with an ECU doctor, I would be happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
i've just purchased a 1996 164 ts, i didn't know about the self diagnostic features but have only seen references regarding cars up to 95.
do later cars have the same self diagnostics.
cheers in advance
davidohooligan
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top