Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alfa 164 cloverleaf EBC brakes

1K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Cattani 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever had a go with EBC greenstuff or redstuff brake pads on their V6 Alfa?

am thinking Greenstuff because is a softer pad than the redstuff and will have better lower speed feel and still able to cope with enthusiastic driving.
The redstuff is a harder pad so might only be good when used hard, and hot take ages to bed in and never get used to potential !

#4 ·
i just bought this car, its a black QV 24v, recaro seats, 82k on the clock can tell has been well looked after but was a london car so bit tatty in places but everything is working apart from lcd screen which am now fixing (bulbs easy fix) plan to get it cleaned up and have changed few suspension bits is very good nick car for the age and goes like stink will put a pic up once given it a much needed wash

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum :)

Would your 164 happen to be the one that was on ebay recently? As your description matches one that was for sale a few weeks ago. If so congrats - it looks like a really nice example.

#6 ·
thanks! yeah it was and it is. is very nice only thing bugging me is the wheels which have been skimmed and got bit weathered completely lost the shine of the brand new spare in the boot im hoping they will polish up and maybe spray bit of lacquer does yours still have cloverleaf wheels what sort of condition

#7 ·
It is indeed, plus it has the extremely rare Recaro seats. It should look great when polished!

My 164 QV currently has 17" Zender Milano wheels fitted, though in my profile picture it is still wearing the original Cloverleaf wheels (which I still have - they're in fairly good condition but not perfect). My cloverleaf wheels are the 15" 'salami-slicer' type:

Attachments

G
#8 ·
Im running EBC red's in my 166 3.2 TI and love them - they are great on the open road and no problems around town and the slower stuff
I read the recommendation from EBC that red pads are more suited for higher horsepower, or heavier weight vehicles - the 3.2L fits both those categories - i dont regret the decision to go red

#9 ·
yeah am tempted to give the redstuff ago will be ordering them or greenstuff up tomorrow and will let you know how i get on!
and the milano wheels are so nice what does it drive like on 17" and how much did you get hold of wheels for?

my 15" cloverleaf wheels look just like the Milano wheels but smaller not sure of the name? but they have been refurbed very bad :(

#10 ·
It drives really nicely on them - obviously the ride has lost a lot of the smoothness it had when I had the original QV wheels fitted, but the steering also feels a bit more direct and it certainly handles a bit better with the lower profile tyres. I bought my set from Germany, the total cost of wheels (with tyres) + shipping came to around £640 If I recall correctly. Not cheap, but a good price for these wheels. I don't see myself ever selling them either!

I'm not sure if the QV wheels have a specific name, but as far as I know both your QV wheels and my QV wheels are made by Speedline - just different designs.

Are yours not 16" then? As far as I was aware the multi-hole Speedlines were 16"...happy to be corrected though.

#12 ·
Ah thought so!

The following link may be of use to you if you're looking to refurbish them:
Classic Alfa Forums • View topic - Refurbishing those nasty Speedlines!

I'd be interested in the results with the EBC pads too, I'm planning on upgrading the brakes on my 12V QV as they feel rather weak, and I've considered the EBC pads with some better discs. So i'll keep an eye out for your findings :)

#13 ·
.a sportronic 166 wouldn't be the lightest car in the world, but i found the redstuffs took a good old pounding on the track in fairness. I think the current redstuffs are slightly different to he ones i used, but i got into the habit of using the speedbumps in my estate as an excuse to do a few harsh stops first thing in the morning to get a bit of a bite into them (provided there was nobody behind me..!). Once they're not completely stone cold they work very well. I love my 156, but the run-of-the-mill brakes on my 1.6 are a serious comedown after the brembos on the 166.. :)

#14 ·
cheers haydn useful link right there!

i have got some new discs aswell although they are just standard QH ones i think will be sufficient as they are already vented, hoping they are good, would have preferred a different make but quinton-hazel do make some good stuff and local motor factors been useless trying to get the 281mm diameter discs of the later model :mad:

cheers for advice on redstuff im still tied between the 2 cos im not a heavy braker will decide tomorrow when they are ordered!

#15 ·
No problem :thumbs:

Can't go wrong with QH either, I've only ever heard good things about them.

#16 ·
went for the green stuff brakes they are brilliant the old discs were badly worn and the pads also so is a huge difference but defo notice has really good stopping power compared to other saloons i have had with standard brakes!
good low speed bite and for those high speed moments when you catch a glimse of a high vis jacket on a bridge

#17 ·
Good to hear some positive feedback about the EBC pads, cheers for that. I'll consider them when I get round to 'upgrading' the 12V's brakes. The car's current setup feels rather weak and doesn't inspire much confidence!

#18 ·
Guys I'm looking to get something EBC onto my 166 2.5 track car
I had wondered about Yellowstuff.
Thoughts please....
BTW Hayden I love your column in AO magazine....

#19 ·
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy it :thumbs:

#20 ·
i wouldn't bother i think redstuff will be more than adequate for track use

although it does depend on the sort of driver you are i had experience with drivers that did all there braking in one go before the corner as others trail brake through the corner. if you are a trail braker harder pads are a benefit as they will get a lot hotter trail braking, but if not the pads will never get to proper operating temperature and just be like having blocks of wood in your calipers! i think start with the soft pads (green or red stuff) for starters i guarantee you will not get brake fade, when you start to learn more braking techniques you might prefer a harder pad.

#21 ·
Note on QH parts: I used to use QH parts and always recommended them. Since their sale to Klarius and then going into administration in Feb 2013 I feel their quality is sporadic. My QH top 147 wishbones lasted less than 6 months before squeaking and being MOT failure. Now repaired with Polyflex bushes. A long standing UK company that I am now, sadly, very wary of using their parts.

#22 ·
yeah i had heard and was worried about that but luckily my brake discs were NOS and perfect!

Those top arms dont last five minutes no matter what the make!
I did think about polybushing an old wishbone but didnt bother, i find even new wishbones the bushes will squeek a bit when cold especially in winter, always found once warms and gets going they quieten down and become more solid i think its just the nature of the design :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.