Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car to 3 different alfa agents, where some said that the cam chain has streched and others say that the tensioner is failty. Diagnostics says that the exhaust cam timing is out. So I bought a new tensioner, had it fitted and still I'm sitting with the same issue of the car backfiring like crazy on cold start and having it loosing power the longer you drive. Plus with the new tensioner in you can now hear a major rattle sound coming from the cam chain on initial start up.. Has anybody expierienced the same problem and have any advice for me?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't remember what the error code was, but the guy who did the diagnostics for me said it read that the exhaust camshaft timing is out. There's no engine light on, but the car backfires badly on cold start and you can smell it over fueling. And when driving it you can feel the loss in power as the engine oils get up to running temp

·
Registered
62 Posts
Might be stretched chain, might be cam/crank positioning sensor, error code will definitely help. You said you replaced the tensioner with the new one, did you check the chain?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts