• £1500-1750

• £1750-2000

• £2000+

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 2008 159, 1.8 MPI has come up cheap but has no keys. It's got over 140k miles with a pretty clean/normal wear and tear MOT history.
The main issue is the owner has lost both keys so it's sat for 4-5 months.
What ways are there to resolve this, talked to a company about reprogramming a used key to suit this car but what details would be needed? How can a key be cut for the locks? Does this age have the normal looking key or the block you push into the dash?

The car looks to be very clean for its age with the few interior images through the window showing great leather too! What would you pay for one this age, 2 keys, 12 months MOT, fresh tyres and a decent service done to it? Seeing if it's worth my time, don't want to see it stripped for parts or scrapped.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
265 Posts
The 1.8mpi is not very desirable. I don't see it going for much, especially with that mileage, and only 1 key.
How sure are you it isn't stolen or otherwise shady?

If there still is a key card new keys can be ordered at the dealers. But that would be quite expensive. Maybe 500,- for 2 keys.
Just cutting the keys won't do the job since the keys needs to be programmed to the immobilizer ECU.

With no key card and no keys it's nearly impossible I suppose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly it's sold now, but I know just cutting a key wouldn't get it running, I was curious to know if you can cut a key for a lock already in the car with no spare at all. And if a new key could be set up without replacing the ECU and other systems. The guy had the V5 in his name but everything can be faked I guess. Was listed at £500 so with the little work needed and the key sorted for about 1200-1300 I was hoping for a little profit, summer project between uni years.
Never mind, the hunt goes on lol

·
Registered
293 Posts
No regrets. You had no guarantee that the car would run fine after having the keys made. And that the loss of keys wasn't hiding any other faults.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Used keys can’t be reprogrammed you have to buy virgin keys. Cost me £550 with coding.

Alfa dealer would be able to order a key to chassis number and then code it up. But for a 1.8 I wouldn’t go to the effort personally

1 - 6 of 6 Posts