Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
i've just gone from a 159 2.4 to a giulietta qv, i'm loving a more modern car. fixing all alfas ain't cheap, period. i'd not recommend a 159 unless you're good with the spanners, i'm not, so it went to the indy all the time. when it was working, i loved the 159; looked current and went well with all that torque.
the qv drinks petrol like a fish but is lovely to drive, it's my first auto so i'm digging not having to change gears. probably not as pretty as the 159 but it sure does pile on the speed quick. the boot is a goodish size, the 159 boot was massive but had a small opening so you couldn't get big stuff in.
i'd buy the newest car you can afford.
also 159 1.9 have swirl flaps you need to delete and a chocolate gearbox.

·
Registered
37,776 Posts
I still lust after a 159 2.4... But the chances of getting a good one are getting slimmer all of the time.

I know they are not massively fast and are not cheap to run but they still look great and the interior feels special. The Giulietta is certainly a better all-rounder but when has choosing an Alfa been about buying the best all-rounder?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Anyone got experience of the Mk5 Golf GTi? I actually wanted one before I got into the 156 although I did have the original Skoda VRs for awhile and whilst it was hugely capable, it was frankly boring in that it was ultra refined but had a dull engine...

The Giulietta is certainly a better all-rounder but when has choosing an Alfa been about buying the best all-rounder?
Changing priorities sadly, I've had my Busso 156 for years and have a young family in tow now. I've done well to keep the 156 this long but sooner or later I'll have to compromise and go boring (ish). The Giulietta 1.4 MA looks like the best bet currently but I'll need to go out and test drive a few different cars...

·
Registered
37,776 Posts
Anyone got experience of the Mk5 Golf GTi?
not the Golf but i did have a mechanically almost identical Seat Leon FR.

I quite liked the engine to be honest, and I wouldn't say it was dull as it sounded pretty good and had lots of torque.

It felt like more than the quoted 200bhp, even though I am sure it was standard

I didn't keep the car long but that was down to personal circumstances rather than the car itself and I wish I could have held onto it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts